Five

"If we get stuck in a black hole, I'm counting on you to get us out."

Drew's voice brings me back to our table, and a frown takes over my face. "What did you just say?" The question comes out sharper than I intend.

His smile wavers. "Oh. Um, you know. Like that poster over there."

I follow his gaze. Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Take Physics. Number ten: if you get stuck inside a black hole, you'll know how to get out.

My lips pull into a sluggish smile. "I'm not really the saving type."

He recovers from my harshness rather quickly. "It's a joke. You can't escape from a black hole. They're the thing of nightmares," he says in a creepy demon-like voice. "Like giant vacuums in the universe that bend light and warp speed, and destroy everything in their wake. Some people think that's how the world will end."

I shrug, barely listening.

A line appears between his brows. "Are you sure you don't mind being partners? If you'd rather trade, I can see if Mr.—"

"Don't do that!" I interrupt, trying to keep the words from stumbling over each other. "Sorry if I'm a little off—first day jitters, I guess. Being partners is great, but I'm not sure your girlfriend agrees."

Drew looks over his shoulder before turning back. "You may not believe this, but Kate's actually not so bad. She just doesn't like to share."

I let out an unattractive snort. "That's a nice way to put it. She looks at you like you're a slab of beef and she hasn't eaten in days."

He gives me a slow smile. "You think?"

"Don't you?" I can't hide my surprise. "No offense, but I thought Ice Queens were above romantic relationships—no one's good enough for them. How did you end up together?"

"Our fathers are best friends." Drew rubs the back of his neck like that explains everything. "Have you met my dad yet? He's the head master."

I'm about to respond, when Mr. Plavik interrupts. He waves a fistful of papers through the air. "In my hand are the three laws of thermodynamics. Once you go over them, you and your partner will discuss how energy is changed from one form to another, and how it applies to real life. This means I want real life examples that can be tested by real life people. When you're finished deliberating, write your explanations down on this piece of paper and turn it in. Any questions?"

In the front row, a girl raises her hand. "Will this be graded?"

"You haven't learned anything yet—it's just a fun activity for the first day of class. Any other questions?" Mr. Plavik cocks his head. "No? Good."

When Drew has our paper, he positions it on the table between us. "So," he says, looking over the definitions, "how are you?"

That's a random thing to ask after we've already had a conversation. I stare at the side of his face. "I'm...fine. How are you?"

His eyes meet mine. "No—I mean after your sister."

An odd sensation swells in my chest. This is the first time in a long while anyone has asked how I'm doing, and I don't know how to respond. I'm not even sure if I know, to be honest.

I swallow before answering. "How is anyone after something like that? For months, I was numb. It didn't even feel real, like I was watching a movie on TV, or this tragic news story about someone else's family. But she really is gone," I say, staring at a blemish on the table. "I think the finality of it is finally hitting me."

"I'm sorry. No one should lose someone the way you did. It's unfair to everyone they left behind." Drew leans closer, his face softening. His voice grows quiet. "Were you close?"