Twenty-Seven

Iris and I are quiet as we leave the auditorium. We file out of the building, and it's not until we're outside and away from the bulk of the crowd that I gather the nerve to break the silence.

I lower my voice so the students nearby don't overhear. "Kate died at the cliffs, didn't she?"

Iris doesn't look at me. "Yes."

The word tingles like static electricity. "And you know this because that's what it looked like when they found Ava. All those emergency vehicles parked on the shore?"

She hesitates for so long, I'm not sure if she's going to answer. Finally, she nods.

I draw in a slow breath. "Why do you think Mr. McKenzie didn't tell us what happened?"

"He said there's going to be a formal investigation. They did the same thing for Ava. It's probably mandatory." Iris tilts her head at me. "Why? What are you thinking?"

I bite my lip and turn away. One of the last things Xander said before we parted ways last night is to keep what we know to ourselves. I'd planned on telling Iris that Kate has—had—my sister's phone. I've involved her in everything up to this point, and now keeping what I know to myself feels wrong. But maybe Xander's right? The fewer people we involve, the less likely there will be trouble.

"It's just weird, don't you think?" I say, glancing back at her.

"Everything's weird anymore. There's a black storm cloud hanging over Maliseet Bay. It's like we're all cursed." We curve around the building and take the path leading back to our dorm. "Did you ever ask Xander what you wanted to?"

"You mean, if he was seeing Ava?" I think back to our conversation in the cemetery, when I found Xander in the middle of a gravestone rubbing. He was pissed when I brought it up, but never actually said he didn't sleep with my sister. All he admitted to was not being involved with her. When you think about it, those are two entirely different things.

But something in my gut tells me he wasn't the father of her baby. "He said they weren't together. And just so you know, you were right about Stone. I no longer think he's guilty."

Her eyebrows arch in my direction. "What finally convinced you?"

I shrug, unwilling to give up that piece of information. Whoever Stone dates is his own business—even if he is hooking up with Eli. "I just decided you were right. Him and Ava together again after all that time doesn't make any sense."

"Good. I'm glad that's out of your head. From here on out, I think we need to rely on what we know are facts. No more what ifs or jumping to conclusions."

"You're right again."

I hate lying to her like this, but I'm telling myself it's for her own good. I have no idea where any of this is headed. If for some reason this entire thing blows up in my face, I don't want Iris to get hit by the shrapnel.

"So, what now?" she asks.

I shake my head. "I have no idea. I guess I'd still like to speak with Theo and see if I can get her to spill whatever it was she was going to tell me."

"Do you think that's a good idea given the current situation?"

"With Kate?" I turn the thought over in my head. "I don't see why not. It's not like they were friends."

"Still," Iris says, her brows drawing inward. "Whether she was friends with Kate or not, it might be poor timing. Everyone will be impacted by what just happened—believe me. You saw how emotional Mr. McKenzie was. He's been best friends with Kate's father since they were students here. Maybe we should give it a day or two and let things settle down first?"