Eighteen

It's getting late and Mom still hasn't called.

I don't care how depressed she is, she's not getting away with keeping things from me. I have a right to know what happened to my sister and not have information cherry picked to only reveal certain details. I'm sorry she's hurting, but if there's anyone who knows what my mother is going through, it's me. Which makes me the one person she should trust.

"I still can't believe Mr. McKenzie let you off with a warning," Iris says. She pulls a gray Maliseet Bay sweatshirt over her head and shakes out her curls. "And I'm thrilled you worked things out with Theo. Now maybe you can relax a little."

I didn't get into why Theo wrote the notes, and I have no intention of ratting her out now. All I said was that it was one big misunderstanding, and that Theo had nothing to do with Ava's death. I'm sure Iris must realize there's more to it, but she has the decency not to pry. That's one quality about Iris I'll be forever grateful for—her ability to leave shit alone.

I take one last glance at my cell before stuffing it into my back pocket. "Just because I crossed Theo off the list doesn't mean my work here is done."

Iris unscrews a bottle of lip gloss and runs the wand over her lips, leaving behind a dusty mauve shine. "I just hope the next time you suspect someone you do a little more research before clobbering them in the jaw. You might save yourself from getting injured. How's the scratch?"

"It stings a little, but it's fine." I brush my fingertips over my tender knuckles and grin. "Is it wrong to say that punching her felt cathartic?"

Iris shakes her head, her expression incredulous. "My roommate's a barbarian. I would have never guessed it by looking at you." She screws the top back on the lip gloss and shoves it into her pocket. "Grab your hoodie. You're going to need it where we're going."

The bonfire on the beach is visible the moment we leave the dorm. Orange flames lick at the darkening sky, and a rush of golden sparks whirl into the atmosphere as someone tosses a log into the fire.

The gathering isn't as close to the McKenzie residence as I thought it'd be. It's situated between campus and the docks, which secures the boats for the sailing club. The realization is a nice surprise. Having the headmaster watch us from behind a curtain is enough to kill my Friday night vibe.

The chunky soles of my boots sink into the sand as we hike over a small sand dune and around a patch of cattails, my hamstrings going into overdrive as we push toward the fire. When we reach our destination, heat from the flames warm my face.

I've walked more this week than I have in a long time. My legs ache, my back is tight, and there's a kink between my shoulders that's been there for the past three days, but—I'm loving every minute of it. I can't remember the last time I felt this alive. It's like that first magical day of spring after an excruciatingly long and dreary winter.

As the ocean breeze whips through my hair, I take in a slow, leisurely breath.

"Nice, huh?" Iris asks, interrupting my thoughts. "Weekends on the beach almost make the school week worth it."

A series of goosebumps work their way up my arms. "It's actually...pretty amazing," I admit, drinking in my surroundings.

Maybe I can leave my emotional baggage behind and just enjoy the night. The sound of the waves as they lap at the shore, and the stars overhead, shimmering like perfectly cut crystals.

"Is that you, Rissie Johnson?" a male voice calls from a group of students near the fire.

I give Iris a side eye. "Rissie?"