Nine

Ava's former roommate, Nadia Syed, lives on the fourth floor of Morgan House, but I have to suffer through the entire school day before I'm able to go and see her.

True to her word, Iris insists on coming with me. "Nadia should know something," she says as the elevator whisks us toward room 422. "It's not possible to bunk with someone for three years and be completely oblivious, is it?"

Not only do I think it's possible, but I know it is. People are full of secrets. Especially the ones you'd never suspect.

I toy with the hem of my navy pleated skirt and avoid the question. "Speaking of bunk mates—whatever happened to yours?"

"Goldie Liebermann?" Iris' head rolls back and she laughs toward the ceiling. "Crazy loon graduated early, thank God. All she ever did was study. I wasn't even allowed to speak in my own room—it was like living in a bloody monastery!"

The image of Iris being shushed makes me giggle. "How did you ever survive?"

"Let's just say it wasn't easy." A few minutes later, she knocks on Nadia's door and gives me a sideways look. "I should probably warn you. Nadia is a very—passionate—person."

"What does that mean?"

Before she can answer, a girl with long dark hair and glasses opens the door. Like us, she's still wearing her uniform. "Iris!" she shrieks, swallowing my roommate in a hug.

Iris' arms flap and flail before finding their way around Nadia's waist. When she's able to come up for air, she untangles herself from the embrace. "Nadia—it's good to see you. How was your summer?"

"Busy, as usual. I had my violin lessons, volunteered at Habitat for Humanity, and helped out at the local food bank. And we spent every weekend at our lake house in Saugatuck. It was nuts!" She steps to the side so we can enter. "Come in."

Nadia's room is similar to ours except it only has one bed. As a perk, seniors get to live by themselves. The only other difference is that every visible surface is covered in books. What doesn't fit on her many shelves spill over into towering stacks that line the back of her desk and dressers, the leather-bound spines of Beloved, Moby Dick, and A Raisin in the Sun, facing outward.

Iris and I exchange a glance as Nadia closes the door. "I just wanted to stop by and introduce you to my new roommate," Iris says. "This is—"

Nadia releases a sudden gasp. "Mia—it's you, isn't it?" Before I realize what's happening, Nadia's arms are around me, her hand pressing my head into the crook of her neck while her other arm locks me in place. "Ava had snapshots of you on the wall. I can't believe you're here!"

Instead of fighting the hug, I go limp and wait for it to end. Try to ignore the creeping sensation in my gut. When she finally pulls away, I gulp in a mouthful of air. "My sister mentioned you often."

It's a lie. Ava never once told me about her friends. She had this magical ability to share very little about her life, even when you asked.

Nadia's eyes are bright and curious. "What are you doing here? I thought you were busy with volleyball. Ava said you're the star of the team."

For a moment, I'm too shocked to respond. And then, "She did?"

"Of course, she did!" Nadia grins. "She told me Stanford University has their eye on you. I remember being impressed since you were only a sophomore at the time. But seeing how gifted Ava was in the arts, I figured prodigies must run in your family like they do in mine."

Iris shoots an accusing look my way. "You didn't tell me you're a volleyball star."

My stomach dips, my thoughts racing too quickly to process. "I didn't want to brag."