Chapter 6 - The Warriors of Kyoshi

Eziri was laying on the saddle with her back to the group. She was trying to take a nap but her racing thoughts kept her awake. She couldn't stop thinking about her brother and his crew. She couldn't stop thinking about her father and the consequences she'd have to face once news spread about her treachery.

She wondered if Zuko would be the one to tell her father she was helping the Avatar. Would he do that? She knew he hated her but she hoped he still cared enough not to do that.

Despite her insomnia, she just stayed still in her spot and let the others think she was asleep. She didn't have the energy to talk to anyone, let alone answer their never ending questions about herself and the Fire Nation.

"You have no idea where you're going, do you?" Sokka asked.

"Well...I know it's near water" Aang said cheerfully.

"I guess we're close then." Sokka said sarcastically. Eziri didn't have to look over the edge to know they were flying over water. She could smell the salty, ocean breeze. Three years on a ship made her well acquainted with the ocean. Eziri heard Aang and Katara speaking but she was so exhausted she couldn't focus on their words. She tried to allow the sound of the wind whipping past her ears lull her to sleep.

"--You need to give girls space when they do their sewing." Nevermind. She thought bitterly. Sokka had her full attention now.

"What does me being a girl have to do with sewing?"

"Simple. Girls are better at fixing pants than guys and guys are better at hunting and fighting and stuff like that. It's just the natural order of things." Eziri was furious. She sat up and made eye contact with Sokka.

"Really? So when I kicked your butt at the south pole, that was you being 'better' at fighting?" Eziri asked angrily. She moved her fingers in air quotes as she said better.

"I let you win!" Sokka squeaked.

"Ok, fine. Then let's have a rematch when we land. That way you can give it your all this time." Eziri said with a smirk.

"Yeah...sure...whatever." Sokka grumbled.

"All done with your pants!" Katara threw the unfinished pants at her brother with a fake smile. "And look what a great job I did!"

"Wait! I was just kidding. I can't wear these! Katara, please!" Katara just huffed and looked away. Sokka turned to Eziri with pleading eyes.

"You're kidding, right? Did you forget I'm a Princess? I had servants do all my sewing." Eziri said as she rolled her eyes at Sokka. He looked away dejectedly. That wasn't actually true; Eziri's mother taught her to sew when she was younger, but Sokka didn't need to know that.

"Relax, Sokka. Where we're going, you won't need any pants." Aang said with a smile.

"Don't worry, I'll burn a few more holes in his pants when I kick his sexist butt later." Eziri whispered to Katara. Katara snickered as she looked over at her brother.

"Hey! Stop your whispering!" Sokka yelled as he saw Eziri and Katara laughing at him. The pair just looked at each other before letting out another loud laugh.

Sokka angrily crossed his arms over his chest and mumbled 'girls' under his breath.

--

The group landed on the snow-covered beach and started to climb off Appa.

"We just made a pit stop yesterday. Shouldn't we get a little more flying done before we camp out?"

"What's the matter Sokka?" Eziri said as she made a show of stretching as though preparing for a fight. "Not ready for me to kick your butt again?" Katara giggled as she watched Sokka's face turn red in anger. He just shoved the fire bender in response.