The First Time in Forever

Keith and Lance sat in the office for what felt like hours. The raven hadn't eat since early that morning and his stomach was growling at him for a hamburger. Lance was also hungry. Even though he was not the one heading into surgery that day he refused to eat if his husband couldn't.

The doctor called Keith and Lance into the room and ran down the procedure with them. Keith started to shake but he looked at Lance like he had faith in God. Because, man, he really hoped God was real.

Keith was lead into the back room to prepare for the surgery. Lance stood waiting. The nurse allowed them a final hug before she took Keith into the operation room. This was going to be a long 4 hours..

Lance stood most of the time. His nerves were too much. Pidge had stopped by on their way out of town for a family function and wished Lance and Keith the best of luck and wishes. "Thanks." Was all Lance said.

It was a solid 6 1/2 hours of waiting before Lance saw a nurse walk out of the room and motion for him. She explained that everything went smoothly but it took longer than expected due to a complication with the doctor's work hours and schedule. But Keith was okay. She told him that he would be awake in a few hours and would be wanting to see him soon after but he would not be able to return back home for another couple of days.

Lance nodded in understanding. The nurse gave him a smile.
"He's going to fall even more for you." She whispered to Lance before turning and exiting the room, leaving Lance by himself...waiting.

The next couple of days was just Keith recovering enough from surgery to actually sit up and function correctly. He complained his head hurt most of the time and that trying to sleep with hearing aids implanted in his head were uncomfortable. But of course, he knew that when the doctors finally turned them on...his whole world would change.

It took Keith about a week and a half to recover enough that his doctor said it would be fine to turn his new hearing aids on. To try and explain the emotions Keith and Lance felt in the moment leading up to this life changing experience...is well impossible.

So, I wont.

Keith sat across the room next to the doctor while Lance sat across from him on the other side of the room. The doctor fiddled with some buttons and some kind of crappy looking tool or whatever, Keith didn't know. But suddenly there was a loud ringing and screaming echo in his ears. Then there was silence.

Keith paused. He could hear his heart beating in his chest.

"Can you hear?"

Keith's head snapped to the side. His eyes wide and his mouth dropped open. The doctor spoke again.

"Can you, Keith McClain, hear me?" He asked again. Keith blinked. Was...that...sound? His head nodded so quickly he felt his brain hit his skull. The doctor smiled. Keith quickly looked at Lance who had a hand over his mouth and his eyes were filled with happy tears.

"I...hear." Keith signed.

Lance nodded his head. He wanted to just cry. All his emotions were stuck in his throat, nothing could come out but sobs.

"Lance, I CAN HEAR!" Keith signed again. This time his expression wasn't of surprise but of joy. The doctor stood back in his corner watching. This was one reason he loved his job.

Lance paused thinking of what his first spoken words should be to Keith.

"You can hear."