Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Ruby and Sapphire

The next day was strangely calm.

Sapphire woke up early enough to shower and and changed into her uniform. Her mom had left to go grocery shopping and left a small snack for Sapphire. She gratefully took the granola bar and ate it, heading outside her house.

She stared off at the sky as she waited for Lisia. The events of yesterday were so confusing. Would she get in trouble for defending herself?

And about that prissy boy..he's strange.

She can't believe she's being so rattled by his words, especially when he could've been saying that to mess with her!

Sapphire let out a deep sigh and was surprised to see Lisia's car in front of her by now.

"Wow Sapphy, didn't know you could sigh that deep",Lisia says giggling as she opened the car door. "Lisia! Sorry bout that.",Sapphire replies with a grin as she gets in the car and closes the door.

Normally Sapphire wouldn't mind walking to school, but Lisia insisted on being Sapphire's chauffeur. Either way, it gave the two girls time together so Sapphire didn't complain.

"Are you okay?",Lisia asks glancing at her short friend before looking back at the road.

"Mm..sorta? Cant believe the nerve of some people",Sapphire says slumping down on her seat. Lisia laughed, she always thought Sapphire was adorable when she pouted.

"What happened??",Lisia asks raising an eyebrow, once again glancing at her before looking at the road.

"Well, aside from that slap and me chasin' some girl across the school...Some prissy boy had the gal to call me beautiful!",Sapphire says, almost dramatically.

"What? But you are beautiful, how is that wrong?",Lisia asks looking at her when there was a stop light.

"What do ya mean how?! He's clearly tryna' mess with me!",Sapphire says frowning.

"Sapphire, not everyone thinks like those kids from when we were younger. Some people aren't blind and see your true beauty.",Lisia says as she drives to the front of the school.

"Even worse, prissy boy promised my pa he'd look after me in class. Like I'm some child!",Sapphire says getting out of the car.

"Sapph you can't blame your dad for having someone look after you in class, you're a handful.",Lisia says teasingly, but stops when she sees how upset Sapphire is. She gently pats her friend's heads.

"Tell you what? If he messes with you in any way I'll make sure his social life is destroyed.",Lisia promises with a small smile.

It may sound like a joke but, Lisia had that much influence on others. She could do this in a heartbeat and has had to do this before when people tried bullying Sapphire.

Sapphire grumbled gently and removed her friend's small and slender hand. "S'okay I'll deal with it myself.",she says giving her friend a thankful smile.

"That's true, you're strong enough for both of us after all",Lisia says smiling sadly. "Anwyay, I'll go park my car and go to class, be careful and try not to cause trouble!",she says teasingly as she drove to the parking lot.

Sapphire watched her friend go, before once again turning to the giant, fancy building.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Ruby was excited for school for once.

Usually he'd just go because his dad wanted him to have an education, even though Ruby's true passion was making clothes with his mother.

He had a true eye for beauty, and even among the most "ugly" designs Ruby was able to show off their true potential.

He didn't know why he had such an interest in Sapphire though. Maybe curiosity? She is different from most of the rich kids at school. Sure, not all the kids act high and mighty but none of them acted the way Sapphire did.

He did call her beautiful and meant it, but he didn't mean it in a romantic way, just the same way a girl calls another girl cute or attractive.

See, Ruby had been in a slump recently. You're an artist, you'd know the term "art block" which is what Ruby had been going through for a while.

Usually they lasted a few days for him, before his creative juices compelled him to create a beautiful masterpiece, but it's been months at this point and he hadn't been able to make anything yet.

He just kept designing and designing, but nothing felt right, it frustrated him to no end.

But the day he saw Sapphire...it was like his brain started working. He could physically feel the cog in his brain turning, giving the other wheels their push to work, and Ruby had his first idea that he wasn't disappointed in.

A dress-

No, a two piece? No the dress would be better, maybe to give it a wild look, ripped at the bottom? A beautiful design on it...

Those were Ruby's thoughts, but the thing was, he clouding picture anyone else but Sapphire wearing such clothes.

This just intrigued Ruby more. This girl- this wild, barbarian like girl, was much more interesting then he thought.

He needed to know more about her, the high of finally having ideas begging him for more. If she's the only one who could give him the ideas by just being herself, he'd have to be at her side whenever possible.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Sapphire made her to the classroom and was met by a few stares, but mostly being ignored. It was fine though, better than someone trying to pick a fight.

"Nice shoes",A guy snickered at her, looking down at her worn out shoes.

"Nice face",Sapphire says with a smirk, pointing at the dark bruise on his cheek, probably from a fight he'd been in.

She was use to dealing with such jerks, so their comments and retorts were met with her own or rarely her ignoring them.

"Say that again you damned bitch! You and your hobo looking dad don't deserve to be here!",the guy scowled, sitting up angrily.

"What did you say?!",Sapphire asks with a scowl of her own, looking at the boy with a fierce glare.

"That's enough!",Ruby shouts glaring at the two. "You, sit down and stay quiet, and YOU",he says looking at Sapphire. "You're already in trouble from yesterday, don't push it Sapphire."

The room was silent as Sapphire looked at Ruby, practically fuming at him trying to control her. She hated it.

The teacher walked inside and the room erupted in chatter again.

Sapphire went to sit down and slammed her bag on the desk, though with the noise of chatting barely anyone noticed. Sapphire was glaring at Ruby the entire lecture, occasionally tapping her foot or fidgeting with her hands.

She hated having to sit still, but she did glance at the teacher from time to time, mostly glaring at Ruby though. She knows Ruby could tell, because at one point Ruby had to rub the back of his head, probably from the hole Sapphire is burning there.

She didn't like him one bit.

Sapphire had to get out of being stuck with this kid..