Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Beauty

Throughout her life, Sapphire was never referred to as "beautiful."

She knew she wasn't ugly, but she was never referred to as beautiful.

She was always the plain one, and from time to time, the one that could manage to be a bit cute.

Now if you looked over at Lisia, there you could see true beauty. She was kind, and beautiful. She radiated grace and elegance.

She could be the very definition of beauty.

So why was Ruby calling HER beautiful?

Sapphire blinked multiple times, frowning, her nose scrunching up in anger. "Xcuse' me?",she asks raising an eyebrow.

"You heard me, I think you're beautiful.",Ruby says simply, his arms crossed.

"..I think ya need glasses.",Sapphire scoffs getting up, putting on her backpack.

"Have you never been called that?",Ruby asks incredulously.

"Course not!",Sapphire scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Anyone who would is a liar."

"I'm not lying",Ruby says earnestly

Sapphire was taken aback for a moment before scoffing and looking away, a small blush barely visible. "Well, I'm not beautiful. Sides, if you're looking for beautiful, you'll want to talk to Lisia."

"...who?"

"....ha?",Sapphire turns to Ruby incredulously. "What'd ya mean who?! Lisia?! The pop star!"

Ruby shrugs nonchalantly. He then briefly remembers someone with blue hair. "Oh? Do you mean the girl walking  around in frilly outfits?"

"Frilly? Ha, didn't know anyone else thought of clothes that way too.",Sapphire smirks for a moment before getting up. "Listen, I don't know what yer deal is, but Lisia is my best friend. Only I get to make fun of her."

Ruby raised his hands in a 'calm down' motion. "I didn't mean to insult her. She is a cute girl, but her outfits are overly frilly."

"Haaa? Lisia is beautiful and looks great in anything! Don't say otherwise.",Sapphire scowls.

"So you can say with confidence your friend is beautiful but you can't admit to yourself that you are?",Ruby asks raising an eyebrow.

"Cus' I'm not!",Sapphire growls out.

"So stubborn..",Ruby sighs and opens the door to the infirmary. "Well, you should get going home. I'll be taking care of you tomorrow for the rest of your stay at this school.",he says, sticking out his tongue in a playful manner.

Sapphire could practically feel her blood boiling as Ruby closed the door, his figure disappearing down the hallway. "Why that little— prissy boy!"

XxXX

"Mama",Sapphire inquires as she watched her mother cook.

"Yes?",Sapphire's mom says turning to her daughter, folding her laundry while on the couch.

"...am I beautiful...?",Sapphire asks staring at her paper. The work in front of her was like a bunch of scribbles to her, but that's not what was on her mind.

Sapphire's mom stops for a moment and turns to her daughter. "Of course you are! Your dad and I have been telling you for years! Why are you asking?"

"Mm..a prissy kid at school called me beautiful. I don't know if he's making fun of me or just blind.",Sapphire sighs ruffling her short hair.

"A boy?! Oh Sapphy! This is the first time I've heard you talk about a boy! What's he like? His name? What does he look like-",Sapphire's mom piped up immediately, a large grin on her face.

Sapphire's face burned red in embarrassment. "Mama no! He's so prissy I'd never be into someone like him! Sides, I'm not talkin' about him cus I'm interested or anything. He's just weird."

"Sapphire is finally in love dear~",Sapphire's mom sobs dramatically onto the phone, most likely having called her dad.

"Mama no!!",Sapphire groans out in annoyance. She grabs her stuff and hurries off to her room. She can't talk to her mom when she gets like this.

Sapphire threw her stuff on the floor near the door, took off her shoes and laid on her bed face first. She was exhausted, her first day was way too eventful.

"Man I'm tired..wonder how Lisia is doin'..",Sapphire yawned out. She laid her head down on her pillow and let out a deep sigh.

Her thoughts momentarily went to a boy with ruby red eyes and she grumbled sleepily. What a weird guy.

XxXx

"You're a monster! You're not a girl, girls are supposed to be kind and beautiful! You're disgusting and dirty!",A little kid yelled out at the small brunette standing in front of a crying blue haired girl.

"So what if I'm a monster?! Yer the one picking on a poor kid just cus she's different from ya!",Sapphire yelled out.

A young boy lunged forward to attack, and Sapphire did the same. The two ended up rolling on the ground, struggling to get on top of the other to get a hit in.

"Sapphire stop! Please! I'm okay I promise!",Lisia called out, sobbing quietly.

No matter what the blue haired girl said, Sapphire kept fighting anyone who kept coming after Lisia.

She was always called a monster, told she'd never be beautiful like Lisia because she's too manly for a girl. She's too strong for a girl.

But that's fine.

As long as Sapphire can protect her friend, she's fine.

She's fine being the ugly one.

She's fine being a 'monster'

She had Lisia, and Lisia had her. That's all that mattered.

...So why did it hurt so bad to be called such horrible names?

XxXx

Sapphire woke up with a start, gasping a bit as she wiped a bit of sweat off her forehead. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. It had been a while since she had that dream.

It was dark out, but that's okay. Sapphire hopped off her bed and went to grab her work from the floor and started working on it. Sure she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but she knew enough to have her pass.

After an hour of nonstop homework, Sapphire finished and sighed, laying on her back as she stared at her blank ceiling.

She never thought she'd ever be called beautiful. Even as a joke.

..Why did Ruby call her that?