Telling people

Today was the day that Emily is officially twelve weeks along. It doesn't feel long at all but she agreed with Derek that they would start telling people when the first trimester was over and the second trimester started. Emily was anxious she was to tell the chief of surgery soon but she first wanted to tell her friends since she didn't have the family she could tell besides Meredith and her grandparents and other families back in New Hampshire but they hadn't been in her life for a while. It was a two-hour drive from Boston to Lebanon, New Hampshire.

Emily being a busy college then med school student with a surgeon mother never constituted time for visits with the grandparents that the other cousins got since they live right next door. The family didn't understand why her mother or aunt never came and visited especially when they lived in Boston. Emily could never remember a time that any of them came down to Boston either. It was a two-way street, but Emily wanted this baby to know it's family-like she never did so she hoped they could build a better relationship in the future.

This was an issue now with the fact that Emily had no clue who her father was. Her birth certificate was probably somewhere in her mother's house in Boston as that's where Emily brought everything before putting her mother's house here in Seattle on the market. It could be as easy as looking at that but there was no way she'd be able to go to Boston anytime soon. Which only meant she could spend a day off that she would much rather spend with her little family that she was starting to establish or with her friends, by going to look into the records to find her birth certificate at the state. It might be in her chart, it would be worth a look eventually. Right now she was just excited to be in the second trimester and feeling a bit better. The morning sickness had been a terrible experience and Emily now got what everyone meant about hating morning sickness.

"Hey Mer, Alex, Shy, and Cristina!" Emily said approaching the lunch table her friends were all sitting at. She had stated she wanted to have lunch with all of them if it was somehow possible with all their schedules.
"Izzie and George just got out of surgery so the gang is going to be all here," Shylee nodded to Emily, as her friend sat next to her.
"Such a rare occasion, Shepherd has a light load today so I've mainly been charting all day, then I'm scrubbing in with the other Johnston for a clipping while he does a valve repair," Emily frowned looking around the table. There was an empty seat at the head of the table next to her, Meredith was across from her, then Cristina was next to Mer, Alex was next to Yang joking about something. Emily noticed both of the heads of the table were empty and that Shylee also had an empty chair next to her.

"I'm on standby, big Johnston has a possible transplant coming in, UNOS is supposed to be calling," Cristina sighed, "A surgery right about now sounds amazing."
"I have surgery in an hour," Alex grinned.
"Same here," Mer chimed in.
"Lucky!" Cristina groaned.
"It sucks to suck doesn't it Yang."
"Evil Spawn!"
"What did Alex do?" Izzie grinned, as she and George approached the table.

Cristina's answer wasn't anything new as Alex was always either telling jokes or borderline sexually harassing the interns. George sat at the empty seat next to Emily while Izzie sat next to Alex, who pulled her closer to him, they were a couple and Emily didn't know how to feel about that, to be fair they were off and on since before Emily arrived here. She imagined she probably didn't have much say in the matter considering she had only been here for 3 months to the date considering her pregnancy.

"Any particular reason, you wanted to have lunch with everyone, Em?" Mer questioned.

"Well, I have exciting news!" Emily tried not to squeal from happiness, in the month since her birthday and finding out, she had been talking things out with Derek and they had a flexible plan and were getting to know each other a whole lot better, they figured that since they will be raising a child together, they might as well get to know each other. It was easy, their conversations never took a lot of effort and they always flowed and they lasted for hours, feeling like time never passed. Their relationship was something magical that Emily still didn't know how to explain, she felt as though she would never know how to explain it.