ball

The evening arrived so fast.

In the afternoon, I had difficulties resting. But Ethan made sure I fell asleep before he left.

When I woke up, the lights were on. Even my porchlight. So I'd guessed he didn't leave long before I woke up.

I made sure I cleaned everywhere first. He said the ball would start at 9, and it was only 6.

So I took my time.

Fixed the kitchen, the cushions on the couch, fixed my room, and looked for what to wear.

I pulled out a beige gown. It was fitting and exposed my shape just a little.

What if you wore black, baby?

I had tons of black gowns. If I wore black, then the little makeup I was going to put on was supposed to be a little wild.

That I chose.

I reached for a strapless black gown that reached me on my knees. And fit my skin perfectly in its thickness, just enough to show my shape a little.

Time to choose sneakers.

One thing I hated was having to choose my heels. In particular. Everyone at home knew that.

I sat on my bed, near my gown and my undies, scrolling lazily on my phone.

I would rather shower first.

After showering for some minutes, I started dressing. It was 9 already, and I was surprised that Ethan hadn't arrived yet.

I eventually dressed, curled my long hair, and put on a little makeup. I made sure I was ready with everything except my shoes.

It was past 9.30 and this guy hadn't arrived yet. Just when I thought of calling, my phone rang. My heart raced in my chest.

What was that?

"Hey."

"Mily, I'm sorry. There's a lot of traffic in town now. But I'm pulling up in front of your porch in 5."

"That's okay."

He dropped and I waited.

In 10 minutes, he poked his head in. His eyes found me on my bed.

"Oh wow. Jesus."

I had to chuckle. He wasn't smiling. His eyes were wide.

He has good-looking. Good looking was an understatement.

He was incredible in just a white shirt. What was happening to me?

"Are you human?"

I smiled. "You have no idea."

We stared at each other for some seconds.

"I have trouble."

"You don't look like you do." His eyes went to my exposed legs.

I rolled my eyes. "I can't find shoes."

"Oh wow." He squint-eyed me only on the skin above my knees.

I didn't respond. I just watched him stare.

"Done staring?"

"No."

"Ethan. Please. I'm serious here."

He sat on my bed with me.

"But how on earth?"

I shrugged. "It's always like that."

He made his way to my shoe-stand.

"You have a thousand here. What do you mean?"

"What I mean is I can't find a good one for this dress."