9: the other reason

*Trigger warning: scenes pertaining to physical abuse & assault *

"He's not staying for dinner. His mum's cooking."

Elliot offered the sugar-coated, angelic smile to Sonia. "Oh, no. My mum's out for an urgent business. Besides, I'd love to have dinner with you and Clare."

Lunch at school had already been sufficiently uncomfortable. I hardly remembered what I'd eaten at the cafeteria with Elliot Lockwood by my side.

It'd simply been thirty minutes of mechanical shoveling in of food and chewing.

"It's late. He should go home," I said, just as Sonia was perking up to his response.

"It's only five twenty. Besides, I don't have a curfew, so it's fine." Elliot smiled.

"It's probably going to be uncomfortable for him eating here. He should have his dinner in peace," I said through gritted teeth, barely keeping up the smile as Sonia turned to face us.

"This place feels like home. Mrs. Adams, I don't know if it's weird to say this since it's my first visit here but- you feel like a mother," Elliot inclined his head, shyly.

Ha! I stared at him, feeling almost compelled to applaud in awe of his acting prowess.

Sonia let out a laugh, clearly more than pleased. "Really, treat this like your home. Do come by whenever you want. I won't disturb your dates with Clare. And do just call me Sonia."

"Thank you, Sonia-"

"His family must be waiting for him at home," I said, scrambling to think of another reason.

Putting her hands on her hip, Sonia looked at me like I was a child refusing to share a toy with a friend.

"Clare. This is your boyfriend. Did you two have a fight- I mean, is Clare mad at you, Elli?"

When had it become 'Elli'?

"I'm waiting for her forgiveness, Sonia," Elliot said, leveling me with puppy-like eyes.

I really wanted to pick up Bianca's technique of finding the person she looked like she wanted to throttle in the morning, find at least tolerable for having a meal with on the very same day.

"It must be because she hadn't had her dinner yet, that's why she's getting a bit cranky. She'll be nicer after we feed her," sighed Sonia, putting down the plates on the dining table.

"Of course." Smirking at me, Elliot helped put down the utensils and cups on the table. "You're not eating with us?"

Asshole. Two-faced-

"You two go ahead first. I'll be out to pick up some things." Sonia picked up her handbag from the couch. "Will be back in about an hour."

"You're leaving me in the house with just him?" I protested, in disbelief. "The last time I had a boyfriend, you didn't even let us go into my room-"

"Shh, don't talk about your ex in front of your boyfriend, that's not nice," Sonia chided disapprovingly. "Elli, please be a little understanding. Do make yourself comfortable."

"See you, Sonia." With enthusiasm, Elliot sat at the table, and without even looking back, Sonia left the house.

When the front door closed, Elliot poured ice water into our glasses, and picked up the fork and knife, looking at the plate of salmon, asparagus, mashed potato and sprinkles of peanut. He glanced at my plate. "You don't like peanuts?"

"No." I sipped from the cup, acutely feeling the cold water run down my throat, wondering if I'd be able to properly taste dinner.

"Are you allergic?"