39: fast forward

Mr. Saunders, the red-bearded security head of Dela Residences, greeted Elliot with a rueful smile.

"I'm afraid you've missed them."

Elliot's tightened grip on the steering wheel slackened. It was as if the painkillers he'd taken, had that moment lost all effect.

The throbbing, piercing pains on his ribs, arms and legs brusquely interrupted.

"By 'missed', you mean..." He couldn't finish the sentence.

"Mr. Michael and Mrs. Jessica have left home very early this morning. Ms. Clare left about ten minutes ago, too. No one is at home."

Gerald wasn't picking up.

"I need to hire someone to track down where that neighbor is- whether she's buried under the ground somewhere or thrown onto some remote island."

As Elliot got out of his car parked in front of Dela Residences, Ian stopped his own car, and ran out.

His face was ash white, and his feet, in home slippers.

"Ester and Bianca said they didn't even see who she was meeting."

Ian was so near him, yet the man's words sounded like they were far off in the background. Elliot looked down at his feet, to steady himself.

"She just said she's meeting someone. Told them to go first. Elliot, please don't tell me you're thinking..."

"It's been about 5 minutes since I was supposed to meet up with this boy and he's not coming, I suspect he might have his throat sliced somewhere?"

His own words returned to him tauntingly.

Clare had called him last night. Had Joseph contacted her last night?

Is that why she called him?

To get advice?

To ask for him to come along?

Maybe because she sensed... danger?

He felt sick.

"My...my father. After the investigation- what happened? Did they decide on anything? Police to track or restrict his movements. Or- or an arrest warrant. Or an order for him to re-invest for another round of an interrogation- anything at all?"

He felt dazed, akin to trying to, in a dream, talk to someone.

"Hey, hey. Elliot. Are you okay-"

"Please, answer me."

Elliot wondered if the sentence came out as a shout, or a whisper. He wasn't so sure.

"Was there anything at all, decided by the police?"

Ian's face answered before his voice did.

"No, son. Nothing. More interviews with other folks have been decided but...no one related to Lockwood Co."

"Then do you...do you know if they announced anything related to my father? Where he'll go, or...what are his next plans?"

"Nothing."

"I- I need to see him. I need to see him and-"

He wasn't sure whether that sentence was finished, or if he did, how he finished it. He just knew that he was getting back into his car.

"Elliot!" Ian's hand thumped across the side of the car. "You're not in a state to drive. Calm down, and-"

"I let my guard down, Ian."