chapter 01

HARLOW ADAMS HATED THE DARK.

It made her weak. Defenceless. 

Without her hearing, all she had was her sight. But in the dark, she was not only deaf, but also blind. And because of that, she also couldn't communicate.

She shouldn't have been on watch that night, but Nora needed the rest.

Boy didn't she regret being on watch that night.

"Lookie here, boys." She didn't see them until it was too late. Until they were holding a gun to her head. 

She could barely make out his curly white hair and wicked grin in the dark.

They grabbed Nora by the hair, waking her from her sleeping position. Harley stared up at the man in fear.

He said something, but she couldn't make it out. It was too dark.

"Claimed?" Nora questioned, moving her eyes from the redhead, "What the hell does that mean?"

The man who had his grip in her hair smacked her across the face with his gun,

"Woah, gentlemen." The leader smirked, "Go on, show them what 'claimed' means to us."

With that, the two men dragged the women into the bushes. Harley let out a grunt as she was flipped onto her stomach, her hands pinned behind her back,

"This is my favourite position." The man above Harley grinned in her ear. When she didn't make a sound, he tugged her hair back, "C'mon, I like to hear them beg."

"She's deaf!" Nora yelled, trying to kick the other man away from her, "She can't hear anything you're fucking saying!"

"Deaf, huh?" He brushed Harley's hair behind her ear and she tried to wiggle away, "Might keep you afterwards if you're this quiet."

Harley may not be able to hear anything going on, but she knew what was happening. She knew what was about to happen.

She failed. She failed to keep them safe.

Nora looked over at her friend, who was staring back.

"Close your eyes, Harley. Everything will go away if you close them." Nora stated slowly, so she could read her lips.

The redhead nodded, closing her eyes. 

That was Harlow's bad habit. When things get ugly, all she had to do is close her eyes. Once she closes her eyes, everything goes away.

But it didn't go away. Because she could still feel the man on top of her, reaching for the button of her jeans. His hands clawing her her breasts.

Her legs were cold in the chill of the night with no fabric to cover them. Harley let out a small cry as the man rubbed against her.

Nora wished she could just close her eyes and let the world fade away. But she was cursed. She could still hear the panting, the crying, the grunts.

She shouldn't have had Harlow take watch. She should have know she was scared in the dark, that it made her vulnerable.

Nora kept her eyes on Harley's face. She tried to imagine they were anywhere else. Somewhere warm, like Hawaii. Maybe California. Or Texas.

She failed them. She should have kept them safe.

Harlow winced at the stinging pain. The man kept a knife on her lower stomach to keep her hips up. 

She couldn't give up. She couldn't let this happen. 

Harley flexed her fingers and dug her fingernails into the man's arm. He pulled away in time for her to reached around and get the knife from his grip.

She flipped over and kicked the man away before crawling on top of him, straddling his hips and slicing his neck open.

Nora quickly processed what happened before kicking the man on top of her away and reaching for her gun.

But she couldn't shoot him. It would cause too much noise.

Before he could cry out to his group, Nora stood and stomped her boot over his neck, breaking it completely.

She quickly pulled her jeans back up before rushing over to Harley, who was still on top of the man who assaulted her, watching the blood leak from his neck,

Nora stared at the blood splattered on the redhead before shaking her shoulder, "We gotta go." She signed,

Harley crawled off the man and reached for the waistband of her jeans, which was around her ankles. She pulled her underwear and jeans up before brushing her fingers over the small incision the man's knife made.

Nora tucked her gun into her waistband before handing Harley her's, "Let's go."

The two girls sprinted away, making sure to be quiet. Avoiding branches and bushes that could give away that they were gone.

It wasn't long before Nora heard the yells of the group, being ordered to split up and search for them.

Once they made it to the river, they began to climb a tree. If they kept running, they'd eventually find them. But if they hid, there's a chance they would keep going and miss them completely.

The two women held their breaths as they spotted black blobs on the ground, sprinting past them and to the water,

"Ya think they crossed?" One man huffed, gripping his rifle, 

"River ain't too deep." Another commented, "They might've. Lou, Lenny, head back. Make sure they didn't circle back. Dan, Billy let's go."

One group headed back towards the way they came while the others crossed the river, "Shit, it's cold! They might just die of hypothermia before we get to them." 

"Keep going! Those bitches aren't getting away."

The two women stayed in that tree for hours. For days. Eventually, the entire group crossed the river in search for them.

Once they thought the coast was clear, they moved back to the ground. 

"We do not cross that this river. Ever." Nora signed to the redhead.

Harley nodded before they began walking.