chapter 31

THEY WALKED THROUGH THE TREES UNTIL THEY REACHED A CHAIN-LINK FENCE.

Metal spikes poked out from the fence, keeping walkers from piling on the fences... if only they were that inventive at the prison.

They peeked through the foliage past the fence, at the large building that sat past some gardens and water holes.

'TERMINUS' was written on the boarded up windows.

But they didn't see any people. No movement. Did Terminus fall a long time ago, and they were only seeing what was left behind?

"We all spread out, watch for a while, see what we see, and get ready." Rick ordered, glancing back at everyone, "We all stay close."

Everyone began separating, staying in groups of two. Daryl and Harley began walking towards the right while Rick turned to his son,

"You want to stick with me?"

He shook his head, "It's all right." He told Rick before going with Michonne,

"Guess that leaves just you and me." Nora gave him a small smile,

They stayed where they were, Michonne and Carl went in the opposite direction of Daryl and Harley.

"How do we know this place is safe?" Nora asked, staring beyond the fences,

He stared at her for a moment, "How did you know the prison was safe?"

She turned to face him, "I didn't. I was just tired of running."

Rick nodded before moving to a tree and began to dig. Nora kept an eye out, watching for any movement.

Harley and Daryl took post a few hundred yards away. She sat down on a log, and glanced over at Daryl who was already looking back at her, "What?" The redhead signed,

"I never came back." He stated,

She furrowed her brows, "What do you mean?"

"That morning... I told you I'd be back." Daryl replied,

Harley gave him a gently smile, "You did come back." She stood and approached him, "We're together, right now. We're alive."  She kissed him gently, before brushing her thumb over his black eye, "You came back." She mumbled, hoping he could understand her, "Just don't leave me again."

Daryl kissed her with more pressure, "Never."

The couple walked back over to where they left Rick and Nora, to find the man burying a duffel bag full of weapons, "Just in case." Rick told them,