chapter 12

HARLOW SAT UP STRAIGHT IN HER BED, HER EYES SEARCHING THE SHADOWS WITHIN THE CELL

She couldn't get that man's face out of her mind.

Harley shifted until her back met with the concrete wall. She took out her Swiss Army Knife and began to fiddle with it.

While the walls made her feel some sense of security, it didn't stop the nightmares from getting to her.

With a small sigh, Harlow tucked her knife away before scooting off the bed. She wrapped herself up in a coat that Nora found for her and tied up her boots before heading outside.

Harley made her way to the fences and stared at the dozens of walkers that had begin to pile up. They tried to reach for her but the fences kept them away.

How long would it be before they got inside?

Every camp she had been apart of never lasted. The first one was overrun by the dead, killing nearly everyone. This was before the last of the living knew what it would take for them to keep their lives. Before they knew how to fight and keep themselves safe.

The second camp was taken by the living. They took all of their supplies before leaving them for dead. That's when she learned that there wasn't many good people left in the world.

She grabbed a crowbar before stepping closer and stabbing them through the eye.

This group was the best she has been a part of. It was safe and the people were kind, understanding, and strong. It was hard to find a group like that.

And she wanted to thrive.

Out of the corner of her eye, Harley saw a few piece of gravel shift as someone walked towards her. She glanced over to see Daryl approaching, wearing his poncho to keep warm and his crossbow strapped across his back,

"How long have you been out here?" He signed,

Harley glanced around and noticed the sun had begun to rise. She sent him a shrug before continuing to take out the walkers.

Daryl walked closer and lowered her arm away from the fence, making her face him. He took note of the dried blood that was splattered across her skin and jacket, which told him how long she has been out there, killing walkers.

"When was the last time you had a full night of sleep?" Daryl asked,

The redhead shrugged, "I can ask you the same thing."

He took the crowbar from her fingers and hung it up on the fence before motioning for her to follow him. She stuffed her hands in her pockets to warm them up before walking beside him,