CHAPTER 1

DANTÉ

(Age 8)

The presence of the dark clouds and rain feels like a cruel mockery, intensifying the already sorrowful and bitter nature of this day. Every moment seems to drag on as if time is also taunting me with its agonizing, painful pace. The sheer magnitude of sorrow that washes over me is unlike anything I had ever known.

This day is beyond terrible, and I can't even fathom a worse one. I fight back a choked sob, reminding myself to stay strong in front of everyone. "A DeLuca is feared, brutal, and unwavering. There's no place for weakness," papà's voice resounds in my head, yet tears still manage to slip away, despite my efforts to hold them back.

Mama was such a good woman and known for her kindheartedness, always leaving a positive impact on all who knew her. Despite her every action being noble and adored by all, what good has it done? In a fateful turn of events, she became the target of a deadly ambush meant for my papà.

With a solemn recitation of words and prayers, Padre Marini concludes the ceremony. He gestures to the family, inviting us to pay our last respects. We share a somber moment, each delicately placing a white rose on her casket. However, as it lowers into the ground, my baby sister bursts into inconsolable sobs and my older sister promptly escorts her away.

Papà's gaze lingers on the casket as it lowers further into the ground, his expression void of any emotion, as if the tenderness he had for mama has vanished. Despite his rugged exterior, she possessed a charm that unearthed his gentle disposition, unknown to most. Thanks to her, he wasn't as tough on me, but now that she's gone, I am unsure what lies ahead for me.

Unexpectedly papà pivots on his heel and Tony mimics his action, abandoning me by mama's gravesite. Others ceremoniously scatter handfuls of sand onto her casket before leaving, but the absence of love and warmth in this frigid place makes it impossible for me to find the courage to leave her alone. Even after everyone else has departed, I am left standing motionless in the same spot, fixated on the hole in the ground that is now being filled with sand.

Mama's gentle voice was my safe haven whenever I felt distressed or frustrated, offering comfort like a warm embrace. There was a deep connection between us, where she could grasp the depths of my emotions without any need for words.

I love you, mama and I'm gonna miss you so much. I don't even know how I'll go on without you.

I will have to find solace in visiting her grave to be close to her. A sad reminder of her absence. The weight of the depressing thought brings forth a choked sob, but her voice suddenly echoes in my mind, urging me to find strength.

While tears flow down my face, a comforting touch grasps my hand. As I raise my head, I am met by a pair of blue eyes that exude empathy. With a gentle squeeze of my hand, she offers me a small smile, as if to silently assure me that everything will be fine. She passes me a tissue, and as I dry my tears, I shift my gaze back to the men who are busy filling the hole. When they are finished, the gentle voice of Giana, our housekeeper, breaks the silence from behind me.

"We have to go now," she says, her touch light and comforting on my shoulder. "You can come visit your mama anytime."

"It's so unfair," I protest, my voice trembling with a mixture of pain and sorrow. "Why is life this way?"

"I know, figlio," Giana says, her voice filled with a touch of sadness, and she pauses briefly before speaking again. "Losing her is hard for me too because she treated me like famiglia. But your mama was a wonderful person who would want you to be happy and make the most out of life. Each moment lost is a moment wasted; make the most of every single one."