CHAPTER 2

DANTÉ

(Ten years later)

"Get out of here! I can't lose another son!" the sound of my padre's voice echoes fiercely amidst the chaos of flying bullets and fire crackling everywhere.

I cough as my lungs fill with smoke, making it hard to speak, but I manage to sputter, "No, papà —"

"Take him to safety! I'll cover you," he instructs Vince, disregarding me. Then, he fearlessly redirects his attention towards the approachhing threats.

"Luca, you don't stand a —"

"Vattene da qui, cazzo!"

"Ok," Vince retorts, his stark and rugged countenance matching his words.

In that moment, my attention is drawn to the glaring bloodstain on papà's shirt. The sight sends a surge of determination coursing through my veins, compelling me to stay and I continue returning fire against the unknown source attacking us. "A DeLuca is feared, brutal, and unwavering. There's no place for weakness," papà's voice reverberates in my head, but I feel the firm grip of Vince tightly grasping my arm. As he forcefully pulls me, my determined efforts to fight him off are met with difficulty. Although I boast a six-foot frame composed entirely of muscle, it proves futile contending with a towering, six-foot-four wall of rugged bulk and muscle.

"Per l'amor del cielo! Would you stop!" he snaps in anger. His eyes blaze with fury as his patience wears thin. "Adhere to the contingency plan."

The truth of his words cannot be denied, and although it contradicts my own emotions, I feel compelled to oblige. This is what papà wanted. His contingency plan was carefully crafted, with meticulous attention given to my eldest brother, sisters, and me, but above all, his sons. After all, we were the heirs to the DeLuca empire. However, my eldest brother Tony, who was also the Underboss, heroically gave up his life earlier to shield me from a hail of bullets. Now Vince is more committed than ever to ensure my safety. As my padre's consigliere for a considerable time, he is a reliable and trustworthy figure in his life.

Despite the lessons ingrained in me to always stand strong and never cower, tonight's situation is an exception to that rule. I quickly turn my head towards papà, fully cognizant of the fact that this is goodbye. With unwavering determination, the notorious Luciano Matteo DeLuca faces his fate head-on, resolving to fight until the very end, unwilling to back down.

The chaos escalates as the deafening and vehement screams of those who may be trapped contribute to a growing cacophony. We run towards the rear of the mansion and Vince's head constantly turns from one side to another, vigilantly scanning our proximity. The desperate cries for help coming from my sisters abruptly catch my attention, but the furious flames dominate, consuming more than half of the mansion. Despite our belief that they escaped when we found their bedrooms empty, they were actually trapped. No matter how much I want to help them, it is too late unless I'm willing to embark on a suicide mission.

Papà's reputation precedes him, as he is notorious for his cut-throat and ruthless approach to remain at the top and t pinnacle of success. And since the DeLuca family is the reigning leaders of the mafia world, our enemies harbor a deep-rooted hatred. As a result, papà has become the prime target in assassination schemes, which, tragically, also caused the loss of my madre a decade ago. Now, it's my beloved brother, sisters and his own life.

Since the day mama was taken from me, I've had no desire to be a part of this life and instead envisioned a completely different path for myself. Except for my childhood friend, Mia, I kept this information to myself and did not share it with anyone else, especially my padre. The consequences were clear—if I took that step, I would face the judgment of being labeled a traitor and risk my life.