CHAPTER 3

DANTÉ

Upon awakening, my eyes feel heavy and blurry, intensifying my present drowsiness. After a few minutes, my vision clears and I'm taken aback to discover that I'm in midair.

Cazzo! How did I get here?

Sliding off the bed, I slowly rise to my feet. Despite feeling a bit unsteady, I tentatively walk out of the cabin, my heart pounding with nervous anticipation. Much to my dismay, I notice only Vince, who is reclined in his seat and fully absorbed in a movie. Then it suddenly dawns on me what he had done, and a surge of anger starts to build within me.

"Bastardo! You drugged me!" I seethe, causing his head to snap towards me.

"Your safety forced me to do it," he reply nonchalant as if it is no big deal.

"Dammit! We left Mia behind!"

"Per l'amor del cielo! Are you shedding tears over pussy?

"It's not like that Vince."

"Get over her. You're still young and there's plenty of fish in the sea."

"But I don't —"

"Deal with it! We're halfway to America."

As I seethe with frustration, my teeth grit and my fists clench tightly at my sides. Knowing that arguing with him would only escalate the tension, I opt to remain silent and retreat back to the cabin. It would be better to focus on formulating a plan to bring Mia to the US.

Time flies by, and after four hours, we touch down on a private airstrip on Staten Island. A chauffeur-driven car is already waiting for us, and in just fifteen minutes, we reach Uncle Sal's opulent mansion in Todt Hill.

"Benvenuti," uncle Sal greets warmly, pulling me into a tight embrace and planting a kiss on my cheek. Once he pulls away, he redirects his attention to Vince and repeats the action. "You're probably jetlag after the long flight, but let's grab a bite to eat before Rosa takes you to your rooms."

"Sounds good," Vince agrees with a nod.

"Right this way," uncle Sal says. We follow him to the dining room and find a perfectly set table. As soon as we take our seats, a colorful display of Italian dishes is placed before us, making it difficult to decide which one to try first.

While we eat, I stay mostly quiet as Vince fills my uncle in on the happenings in Sicily, as well as his determination to track down the killers. Despite Uncle Sal's efforts to conceal his emotions about the tragic news, his eyes betray a mysterious intensity as he vows to avenge his half brother's death. Gradually, the conversation shifts towards business, but my mind is preoccupied with more pressing matters, causing me to lose interest.

I soon discover that my hunger isn't as ravenous as I had imagined, and I absentmindedly move my food around on my plate.

"You've been awfully quiet, Dantè," Uncle Sal says out of nowhere, snapping me out of my thoughts. "So... are you ready to step up?"

"No, not after all that's happened," I reply honestly, fully aware of Vince's expected opinion on the matter.

"Do I have to go down this road again?!" Vince bellows, his face reddening and his knuckles turning white as his grip on his knife and fork tightens.

"Give the boy a break." Uncle Sal's voice turns harsh as he retorts, "He's gone through a lot," giving Vince a stern gaze, making him shift uneasily in his seat.

"His a man, not a —"

"How about we relish our meal and save this conversation for tomorrow?" Uncle Sal asserts firmly before returning his attention back to eating.