Chapter II: First Encounter?

"There are dead end loves. Those that attract you from the first moment like a magnet to iron".

Beep, beep, beep!...

The sound of a heart monitor echoes in my ears more and more.

Where am I?

I open my eyes and start feeling a soft pain in my forearm. My veins are pierced by a small needle.

I think I know where I am, but I start looking for other clues to confirm that I'm inside a hospital room.

How did I get here?

I try to remember and a thousand of images come to my mind, causing the anxiety to take over me while I rekindle the anguish and horror that I had on this guy. I remember his bloodcurdling laugh, his sexual look, the menacing knife, his desire to end with my life in that dark alley.

There are memories that are better locked up. Then a soft pain in my head comes, ejecting my thoughts and connecting me to reality again, releasing a slight moan of pain from my lips

Ouch!

—Are you feeling okay, Miss Campbell? -I hear a sweet voice.

The thin figure of a blonde woman comes to my bed, it seems that she's a nurse and her warm and concerned voice confirms my deduction.

—Ye...yes... -Dismayed, I answer- I'm alright, I just have a light headache.

—I'm glad that it was just a scare, Miss Campbell -she draws a friendly smile.

Something in her reminded me to those days when mom used to take care of me when I got sick. I'd like to know more about her, but I have more important matters to investigate.

—Can I ask you how did I get here? What happened to me? -I look at the gray eyes of the nurse with contempt, trying to find in them the answers to my worries.

—Ohhh! Miss Campbell -she answers with some evasion- we don't know exactly what happened to you. I can only tell you that a man brought you to the emergency room last night. He told us that he found you bathed in blood in an alley, very near from here. I confess we thought the worst, but luckily, the medical exams indicate that you are perfectly fine. No lacerations on your skin to confirm that you suffered a sexual assault. Also, the blood in your clothes is not yours -she friendly smiles after finishing her argument.

One of the images from that night comes to me. I just remembered that pool of blood that came from the predator. Yes, the one whose life was taken in front of my own eyes. The one that in the most decisive moment ended covered in bullets, the one that maybe...was killed for me?...The traumatic scene makes a shiver to run down all my body.

I need to know if that man's body is here in this hospital, or if there are news about his violent death.

—Was another person brought here besides me? – I ask, with interest.

—No, miss. That man only brought you in his arms -she answers in confusion.

That man? Could it be that he's here? Thanks to him I'm still alive, and I know that only him can answer my doubts. Nonetheless, I must be careful. I can't avoid the fact of him being author of that cruel murder.