Chapter XVI: Love or just desire?

"It was losing you or losing myself. And darling, I already lost enough with you...". -Elizabeth Santillán.

It's amazing how in a strange way, the whole universe pleases your requests. I mean, before getting to this city, a mysterious impulse made me wish to meet someone who could disrupt my mind in just an instant. Someone who could break all of those prejudices and paradigms established in my moral values. Guess what? My wish was granted. Someone succeeded on bringing my attention without previous warning, with a vulgar gangster boy attitude.

Ethan possessed everything I could love, but... in the same way, he had everything that could lead me to my doom. And it's precisely because of this I'm still here with him, running away from a predator who for whatever reason, has transformed me into his favorite prey.

I open my eyes to wake up after that warm desire from last night. It seems I'm alone in my bed again...However, I try not to fall into catastrophic thoughts, so I decide to get up and look for some trace of Ethan outside the room.

When I come out, I find Mozart and Freckles, who are watching a comedy tv show called "Two and a half men" on a 65" Smart TV placed in the apartment's entrance. They're so immersed in their happy world that they haven't noticed my presence.

—Good morning, guys! -I wave at them.

—Good morning, Little Fierce! -they say happily at the same time.

Little Fierce over here, Little Fierce over there. It's not a nickname I really like, but coming from them, I know it's an affection gesture, so I think I'm getting used to it.

I look around and there's not any sign of Ethan here, so I dare to ask.

—Guys, umm...have your seen your boss? I can't find him here. Did he go out? -I ask pretending innocence.

Their happy faces suddenly change, as if they were watching "American Horror Story". Their faces put on evidence the answer I was trying to avoid minutes ago.

An explosive sigh comes out of my mouth. Ethan will not expect to use me all the times he pleases and then throw me at his lapdogs.

—I'll ask one more time, and I hope not to confirm what I'm thinking.

WHERE

IS

ETHAN

COOPER? -I emphasize letter by letter in a menacing tone.

Mozart and Freckles look at each other's face, trying to find a good answer that could save them.

Freckles starts looking down, trying to hide himself to not confront me.

After a few seconds, Mozart dares to look at me, and in a babble, he answers my question.

—Uhmm...Little Fie...I mean, Kailey... -He exhales abruptly and then takes a breath- The boss is gone! -he exclaims, almost regretful.

I knew what the answer would be. This...asshole did it again! But this time he's so fucked up, and I won't fall into his vile trap again, I won't take his stupid case and I won't have anything to do with him.

If Laurent is after me, then good! At least, he's not pretending to be something he's not. He smells like a rat, he sees like a rat, he expresses himself like a rat, he looks like a rat, and he definitely IS A RAT.

Without emitting any sound, I go to the room, change my clothes and put inside my bags the few things I took out. I pick up Baguira's strap and with no doubt remaining, I head up to the door.