Gun control: Should guns be banned in America?

Should guns be banned in America? To start off simply, yes, guns should be banned in the U.S. because it would save lives and they are rarely used in self-defense. Deadly gun incidents are common in the United States, but the recent events of mass shootings have shocked the country and the world. Almost every day, people are dying because of America's easy access to firearms. Usually, the killing is well-planned, but in one recent case, a toddler left alone in a room found a gun and shot himself in the face. American citizens' right to carry arms results in an enormous loss of life, grief, and suffering from survivors and loved ones of victims. If you put yourself in their shoes, you will most likely be debating for a ban on guns.

According to the BBC, the crime rate in the US has almost doubled in recent years and is predicted to rise more. People are unhappy with their life and the government could try to release their frustration with guns in public places and schools. America's "gun culture" is also making its children immune to violence. There is a real danger that when they grow up, they'll try to solve problems by using guns that are easily available. The most well-known case is probably the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, which is the deadliest mass shooting at an elementary school in U.S. history, and the fourth-deadliest mass shooting overall. (Wikipedia) A report issued by the Connecticut State Attorney's office concluded that 20-year-old school shooter Adam Lanza acted alone and planned his actions, but provided no indication why he did so, or why he targeted the school. The Office of the Child Advocate in November 2014 stated that "Lanza's severe and deteriorating internalized mental health problems ... combined with an atypical preoccupation with violence ... and easy access to deadly weapons ... proved a recipe for mass murder." (Wikipedia) Adam Lanza first killed his mother at their shared home before taking four of her guns and driving to the school, where he killed 26 people. The shooting prompted renewed debate about gun control in the United States including proposals to make the NICS system universal, and for gun legislation banning the sale and manufacture of certain semi-automatic firearms. Adam Lanza did not own any guns, he took his mother's. Legally owned guns are often left lying around the house, and if gun owners are not responsible enough to keep them out of the hands of non-gun-owning individuals, that should be a sign for guns to be banned. As mentioned before, on April 6th, a semiautomatic pistol somehow landed in the hands of a curious toddler, who pulled the trigger before anyone could intervene. The child was pronounced dead by the time medics arrived on the scene. He was just 3 years old. (ProCon.org)

Some people may say "If we ban guns, criminals will simply find another way to kill people." (The CRPA Foundation) Then they can try. They can try to murder 17 children with a knife. They can try to drive a truck through the corridors of a school. They can try to do all the necessary research, buy all the necessary materials and garner all the scientific knowledge needed to build an effective bomb. If they do all this, then yes, they'll still be able to kill people. But let's not give them guns. Let's not make it easy. Furthermore, a new study suggests stricter gun access and the use of laws could reduce firearm-related deaths up to 11% annually. Statistics prove that stricter gun laws lead to fewer shootings. In a country like Japan, where gun laws are extremely strict and background checks even extend to relatives, there has been no mass shooting in the past 2 years.

There are many responsibilities for Americans, and for parents, one of them should be to keep your children safe. That is not entirely possible, obviously because of cancer and tragic accidents, but banning guns will ensure their safety by a lot. It will ensure your safety. US police say more than 70 percent of murders are caused by guns. These weapons should be outlawed to prevent hundreds of unnecessary deaths. To sum up everything that I have informed you of so far, guns are dangerous. They are used to kill, accidental or non-accidental, and are a threat to humanity. Although guns may be needed for some people, is it really worth the consequences? Is it worth having a gun when all these toddlers, teens, and adults get killed all over the U.S? It doesn't only affect the victims, it affects their families and friends too. The facts show clearly that a complete ban on handguns is logical - and urgent. In America, violence is out of control. Guns are the major cause. They should all be banned - the sooner, the better.

                                                            Works cited

"Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia,

Wikipedia, 12 May 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting#:~:text=A%20report%20issued%20by%20the,to%2

0say%2C%20%22his%20severe%20and. Accessed 26 May 2021.

"Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?" ProCon.org, Britannica, 7 Aug. 2020,

gun-control.procon.org/. Accessed 26 May 2021.

"Ten Powerful Arguments against Gun Control." The CRPA Foundation, 7 Dec. 2015,

crpa.org/news/blogs/ten-powerful-arguments-against-gun-control/. Accessed

27 May 2021.

"List of Massacres in Japan." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia, Wikipedia, 9 Apr. 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Japan. Accessed 28 May 2021. 

Notes: Guns are still legal in America, and there have been 35,502 deaths by guns over the past year alone, and not only that but 2021 is set up to be THE deadliest year for death by guns. Sign this petition (although it's a little outdated) to have even a little chance at reducing homicides, shootings, and suicide: https://www.nraila.org/grassroots/petition/