Fingon/Maedhros

Prompt: "I'm not going to stop poking you until you give me some attention." - This is set in Aman before stuff went down.

Fingon had always been a perfectly patient child, even when a little brother came along. He never demanded extra attention from his Atar or Nana while they were busy, and was content to read himself to sleep when they couldn't make it home in time to tuck him in to bed. For some reason however, this patience never seemed to apply when it came to his older half-cousin, Nelyofinwe. 

As soon as they had been introduced, a knee high Findekano had attached himself to his cousin's right calf and refused to be unlatched. Usually never one to throw tantrums, he screamed brutally at his parent's and uncle's frantic attempts to remove his tiny little fists from Nelyo's clothes. 

"It is quite alright, I am used to little ones." Nelyo intoned when all the adults had been wearied by their attempts. "C'mere, little Findekano."

Feanaro and Nolofinwe glared in identical confusion as Nelyo was able to easily lift Findekano by his armpits, and settle him against Nelyo's chest. The child grabbed his cousin's shining red hair with his two chubby fists, a wide grin sitting on his face as he regarded his copper prize. 

"Have you ever seen red hair before?" Nelyo asked gently, allowing Findekano to keep his loot.

Findekano blinked happily up at him with wide, shining eyes. "Pretty."

"Thank you, my Nana has red hair too." Nelyo nodded to the adults, "May I take him for a walk in the gardens?"

Nolofinwe nodded, and Feanaro responded verbally. "Be back in time for dinner."

"I will, Atar." Nelyo turned to walk down the hallway. He went through a large arched marble doorway, that led to the grand rose garden. He turned Fingon slightly so that he could get a good view. "What do you think, little cousin?"

"Pretty." Findekano intoned once more.

Nelyo chuckled, and teased him in a gentle tone, "I'm beginning to wonder if you know any other words."

"I know lots of words." Findekano didn't sound the least bit insulted. 

"Like what?"

"Tasty." Findekano grinned mischievously up at his cousin's face, then stuffed both fists of copper hair into his mouth at once.

Nelyo smiled, and let the child do as it pleased. He walked between the rose hedges, thinking. If it were one of his brothers he probably would have scolded and pried his hair away from the child, but his baby cousin was too cute. "And what does my hair taste like?"

"Navader." Findekano's mouth was still full of Nelyo's hair and his own hands.

Nelyo gently pulled Findekano's fists out of his mouth. "What was that?"

"Lavender." Findekano repeated, settling his damp hands on Nelyo's neck and shoulder. Ah of course, Nelyo realized his cousin must have been tasting the lavender hair soap that Nelyo had borrowed from Nerdanel. "Gourmet."

"Gourmet?" Nelyo repeated, amused at the chosen word and not entirely sure Findekano knew what it met. 

"Mhm. Five tars." Findekano nodded with assurance. "But very hairy." He pulled the hair out of his mouth, eyes going cross as he looked down in concentration.

"Five stars." Nelyo corrected him as he would any other child. Though the mispronounced words were cute, it was important for them to learn to pronounce them correctly.

"No, tars." 

"It is stars."

"Atar always say tars." Findekano frowned, a little wrinkle appearing between his brows.

"Then we shall have to ask him, but I believe it is stars." Nelyo conceded.

"Hmff." Was all Findekano said, but he squirmed closer to Nelyo anyway, resting his head on his older cousin's shoulder.

By the time Nelyo left the gardens for dinner, Findekano was fast asleep in his arms.

Findekano's love of Nelyofinwe's attention, despite their parents attempts (especially on Feanaro's side) to wean Findekano off of Nelyo, never stopped. Nelyo didn't seem to mind either, quickly handing the responsibility of his younger brothers over to Maglor and running off with his cousin, whenever Findekano visited.

Of course, both were technically princes. Nelyo had a bit more work, as he was crown prince. It was during one of Findekano's visits that he resulted to old antics in order to gain his cousin's attention. 

"Nelyoooooo..." Findekano whined from where he was sprawled on the couch in Nelyo's office.

No response. Nelyo remained determinedly hunched over his desk. Findekano huffed in frustration before rolling off the couch and flopping onto the floor. He proceeded to inch his way over to Nelyo's chair, groaning dramatically all the way. When he made it to the chair, he sighed at stared up at his cousin.

Still no response. Findekano considered biting Nelyo's ankle, but resisted the urge. Instead he shifted to sit up, and reached a hand up to his cousin's midsection. He jabbed a single finger into Nelyo's ribcage. Nelyo flinched, but that was the only reaction he gave. However, some reaction was better than none. Findekano poked the redhead once more, now without receiving a reaction.

So, when something doesn't work, one should obviously try it again. Findekano rapidly shoved his finger into Nelyo's ribcage again and again. On about the eighty seventh poke (Findekano was counting because that was how bored and neglected he felt,) Nelyo spoke the first words he had in over two hours.

"Findekano, you are fully grown. Entertain yourself." 

"Nelyo, I will not stop poking you until you give me attention." Findekano intoned seriously. Nelyo did not respond. So, Findekano resumed poking.

On the two hundred and forty third poke, Findekano was ready to give up. Though he knew his cousin was busy, he wanted Nelyo's attention, and he wanted it now. Findekano's eyes watered and he cursed himself for being so pathetic. He wasn't like this with anyone else, why couldn't he bear to be without Nelyo's attention? There was just something about his elder cousin that drew him in, and left him unable to resist anything regarding spending time with Nelyo. Findekano stood up and drew away from his cousin. He felt ashamed for his own bratty behavior, and intended to leave the room to go mope in his bed, alone.

"Findekano?" Nelyo called out as Findekano opened the door to leave.

"Mhm?" Findekano didn't trust his voice to be steady if he attempted to reply with words. 

"I will be taking dinner alone in my rooms tonight, if you would like to join me." Nelyo looked over his shoulder to meet Findekano's eyes.

"Yes please. I would like that very much." Findekano responded eagerly, his heart thudding as he blinked away the dampness in his eyes. Though Findekano would likely need later reassuring that Nelyo truly wanted Findekano there, he could not bring himself to hesitate in agreeing to spend time with Nelyo.