Field Of Red Arrows

In the corner of a world, in a far-off plane, a smidgen of land held warfare.

Motherland was typically green and lush with the fervent of vitality that never ceased to make one feel unwelcome. But in this particular century, the skies were domed with heavy clouds and dreariness weighed atop the shoulders of feral warriors.

The land had wilted yellow like winter had sucked the life out of the greenery. But that wasn't the case with the Motherland which was always in a constant spring. Blood blotched and seared the soil in constant rain, perhaps that was what poisoned the soil. Animals have fled the crossfire of battle, the only living was that of soldiers who stood on a circus string between life and death. And for what? Petty war?

Oh, one must not belittle the acts of war. For the rich and noble need to wax their legs and scratch their golden pillars. If they don't touch the behinds of jeweled buttons it's said that their skin will rot and the only flavor they would taste is that of the dirt a corpse laid upon.

Well...that is just one side of the coin. The other side is for a cause, one far more important than luxury. This war is between one race and thousands of other races. They fight to kill the rot, to end the disgusting plague that's been enslaving, slaughtering, and populating like an overgrown tumor that needs to finally be cut out.

The side I currently stand on would probably be called the villain side. That's an understatement actually. Demons, I'm on the demon's side. The species every other species wants dead. Demons are a giant cult that's taken things beyond expectation. Their footprint on this planet is far too bloody, and even if the race is once and for all irradicated it would take centuries before the scars would show signs of healing.

War on the demons happens every so often, and you could say it's a never-ending battle with a few pauses of breathing room for a few years. The demons are never defeated clearly and have found ways to get around the aspect of doing things themselves. The higher-ranking demons sit on their thrones drinking the blood of their victories with sickening grins. While the enslaved they've gathered to fight their wars and kill their brothers and sisters on the other side of the battlefield, become shells of who they once were.

The people who willingly work for the demons usually use brainwashing techniques, torture, and puppet manipulation to get the unwilling to cooperate.

Of course, this has triggered several individuals who have had their families taken away to be used as demon army cannon fodder. Yet I have yet to see a break in the demon's power.

But what do I care? I'm just a cat.

🐾

"Cat."

Taka opened one orange eye and lazily observed the witch who disturbed him. Her dark hair was so long it covered her face most of the time and always appeared to be wet and slimy. Her skinny features and dark eyes gleam evil.

"What do you want master?" Although he responded politely, it was so sickly sweet to the ear it formed mockery.

The witch frowned but turned to look past it. She grit her teeth and said in all seriousness, "A small rebellion has started to form in Ace City the higher-ups want you to fix it."

Taka rolled his eyes and pawed the window seal he laid on in gloom. "Alright." The witch showed approval with a hum and left the room in spurts of dark light. Dark magic she used, like all the other witches who work for the demons. While she is a willing slave of the demons, he's her personal slave, lower perhaps than her if he were to rank familiars in terms of slave rankings. But Taka is much more powerful than her and perhaps all the witches combined who work for the demons. Unfortunately, he can't escape the fate of a familiar and cannot wield his power to escape for freedom. He is controlled by a thread. But a thread is still a leash.