White Paws

Taka was truly tired and wanted to rest. He felt his life had been fulfilled in some way. He had served the witches just like he was meant to do, his purpose had been overused for so long. What had he been doing but the witches bidding anyhow? He never got what he desired and being a lackey has worn him down. He doesn't have the drive or will to continue to serve them.

Now Taka finally has the opportunity to escape the demon's clutches, no longer having to be forced to link with another witch when the other dies! He will spend this last week doing what he wants to do. Laze around even if the sun isn't out, and daydream of a luxurious rich cat life.

The soft white sock paws started to become stained in the muddy marshland he found himself in. Disgusted he flicked them. He then realized he can't use his magic to clean himself. Taka mourned the loss of his power. If only he could use his magic without having to be linked with some witch, he would have run away long ago.

It became harder and harder to walk in the mud and eventually a slight drizzle of rain came down in a freezing mist. The sun had descended leaving it dim, Taka was miserable. He slumped down in wet mud, this marsh terrain won't do, it simply won't do!

Taka hissed at the wet dirt in frustration, with a yowl he swiped at the ground. He decided to take a break in the long grass that was at least five feet taller than his cat's body. It was uncomfortable but he was used to this type of thing. Having no magic to warm himself he soon became a cat popsicle.

He had considered going back to the demons but that thought only briefly passed his mind before being replaced with all of the cons. It would be nice to die on a sunny cool day just like that past memory, but that's simply impossible with the demons.

Taka's paws shook but kneaded the giant stalks of grass not caring for his shivering body in the least. Perhaps he could turn the tides of the war if he revealed his magic fully and go to the other side, but where on earth would he find the chance to get another witch on the other side, and what are the even far off chances that they wouldn't exploit him? Taka thinks it's impossible.

He sighed through his nose and began to remember what got him here. He doesn't recall which witch started performing dark magic and left to become a demon's slave, but he once remembers not being on this side of the battlefield. He unwillingly had to follow the witch but when they died he never got the chance to choose a witch for himself, simply passed on by the dark witches, like a toy.

Resting his chin on the muddy fur of his paws, Taka huffed listlessly closing his amber eyes.

A light tap touched his nose but he didn't move thinking it was the wind or fodder, but it persisted. After a while, he couldn't help sneezing and angrily looking at the thing that interrupted his sleep. It was a blue monarch butterfly, unusually bright appearing to glow in the dim evening. Taka knew immediately it was a spell and scowled. The butterfly lingered near him before fluttering off in a simple direction, pausing in the air as if waiting for him. It was a guiding spell and Taka didn't take the liberty of following it, instead, he became tense. Who found him?

He might have lost his magic but he can still sense the pure spell the butterfly manifested from. This wasn't dark magic and having not seen any pure magic in so long Taka's tense claws gradually relaxed, he became mesmerized. His thinned out pupil dilated appearing kitten-like as he unhurriedly followed the luminescent butterfly. Some sparks of magic came off in the butterflies path and Taka in a silent peace played with the floating blue specks that hung in the air just waiting to be swatted by the cat's paw.

A muddy black cat with white socks frolicked with the butterfly trying to strike it down. Slowly the butterfly began to lose its glimmer and disappeared like a flame doused in water.