Crash Bang Boom

How many times have you been in hospital?

Too many to count. Why?

Nothing. Your life just seems super miserable, that's all

Gee, thanks

Nothing personal, it's just the way you're telling the story

Can I continue? You keep interrupting me

Fine

Right. Where was I? Oh yeah, got hit by a truck

***

I couldn't tell whether I was overcome with shock or pain, but I couldn't move anything. My eyes wouldn't open. It was like I was stuck in a blackhole of hopelessness. There was nothing stopping me from letting go and just popping off back to hell. Would it be so bad? Dying. I'd done it before so there was no fear that came with the feeling of my life force slipping away.

Then my thoughts drifted to Layla. Silas was her father. And if I didn't sort this out, he would hurt everyone I cared about. I couldn't let that happen. 

I pushed away from the tempting feeling of sleep and urged my body to move. All of a sudden, sharp pain stabbed at my chest and a hammering ache smashed into my skull. The bright light of day pierced my sight and I squinted into focus to see what was going on. I brought a hand to my head as if I was scared my brain would pound its way out of me. 

Everything seemed reasonably okay. My toes moved and so did my fingers. Nothing was broken. Apart from the headache, the only pain I felt was from the seatbelt which had kept me strapped in while the car had spun onto the other side of the road. 

I looked beside me to the drivers side. Lucifer wasn't there. On further inspection I saw that he had been propelled through the front windshield when the car had hid a pole. He hadn't been wearing a seatbelt. I didn't start panicking until I realized he was unconscious and injured.

The seatbelt held firm against my bruised ribcage. The buckle refused to let go when I pushed to release it and I strained against the tightness. At that moment, I paused. Sniffing in air, the smell of leaking gas reached me and my eyes widened in horror.

The moment became more desperate and I pulled and yanked at my seatbelt but it wouldn't give. This was when Lucifer woke up, stumbled to his feet and turned around to look at his surroundings. His eyes landed on me and the car and he limped over, pulling the car door off it's hinges.

"I'm stuck!" I called out, still pulling at the buckle. Lucifer reached over and pulled the entire thing out of it's bolts, picking me up out of the seat and out into the fresh air. He didn't stop till we were well away from the car before he placed me on the ground.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Am I alright? No of course I'm not alright. We almost died!" Lucifer turned to face the car, grimacing at the damage. This was the second car that had been destroyed just in the last week.

"Bloody hell that's not an easy fix." Ironically enough, The gas fumes had reached the ignition and a decent explosion erupted from the car leaving it a burning, flaming mess. That would've been me if Lucifer hadn't pulled me out. 

Lucifer examined himself. His suit had multiple horrible tears and rips where the glass had mercilessly torn at the material.

"Oi! Mate! you alright?" Lucifer turned around at the voice of the trucker who jumped down from the drivers side of the truck that hit us. 

"Yeah, we're fine."

"You pulled out right in front of me!" I honestly couldn't tell if he was furious or concerned. Probably both.

Sirens whined into ear shot. Lucifer left me to talk to the guy who seemed genuinely upset at the matter. I couldn't concentrate on much. What was happening? Everything was fine for once, and now everything is going to shit.

God is here mucking things up. If I touch Lucifer or any angel, they get hurt. Silas, the evil drug lord who tried to kill me, is actually Layla's father, and I nearly just died... Again. It was all too much for my brain to handle.

Nothing could ever be easy, could it. What I needed to do was sort out one problem at a time. I needed to find Layla. I reached into my pocket for my phone but realized it was useless when I saw the shattered screen. That's just perfect. 

My bones screamed at me as I stood to my feet, begging me to sit back down, But I chose to ignore the pain so I could head over to Lucifer.

"I- I'll pay for the damages mate. It was my fault really, shouldn't have been lookin' at my phone." The truck owner rubbed the back of his neck in shame.

"It's alright, really. Don't worry about my car." I almost laughed out loud. The devil being generous and forgiving? Who could've foreseen that?

"Lauren!" The familiar voice drew me in, as it had thousands of times. I met Layla's fearful gaze. She sprinted towards me but all I could think about was Silas' threat. "Are you okay? I was at the market and hear the noise."

After a few seconds of silence, I finally found my voice. "We need to talk."