Disappointing Child

Laurens POV

When I woke up the following morning, I was lying in a strangely familiar bed. A bed I hadn't slept in for a very long time. Yelling from downstairs brought me out of my thoughts so I dragged myself, reluctantly, out of bed to go and meet the demanding person.

The smell of coffee and toast wafted to my nose when I walked through the door. A woman with long brown hair was standing by the toaster with a plate and she turned around to face me when she heard my footsteps. I wanted to gasp. I wanted to scream and yell and to run. But I stayed. My feet walked to the kitchen island and sat down, despite my weak efforts to do otherwise. Her familiar face terrified me.

"Finally. I thought you would never get your lazy ass out of bed." Her harsh tone brought back agonizingly painful memories making me wonder what on earth was holding my tears back. A plate was harshly placed in front of me with a single piece of toast. "Hurry up. I've got things I want to do today and I don't need you holding me back." Um. Ouch. A smash brings my attention to the floor beside me. A fallen vase had smashed right beside me. "Oh for fucks sake child. Could you be any more useless? Why do I even bother with you? You only make my life more miserable." Tears sprung in my eyes from the hurtful words.

"She's right, you know." I recognized the deep voice and lifted my head to face Lucifer. "I never wanted a child. But I never imagined to have one as disappointing as you. Why can't you be better?" No matter how hard I try to apologize and promise to be better, they don't seem to listen. "You are a freak of nature. Nothing more. You're not even a full devil. You can't even do that right." I knew they were right. I was only taking up space. Neither of my parents wanted or loved me. No one did.

"Lauren."

A faint voice distracts me for a second before I'm brought back to the painful reality. My mother stepped closer. "You are a pathetic excuse for a child and you know it." I was pathetic. I couldn't stop crying.

"Lauren, please listen to me."

The voice got louder and I was starting to think it wasn't just in my head. "Listen to me you worthless piece of shit!" My attention was pulled back to my mother who looked furious.

Lucifer just looked disgusted at my very existence. "You are not good enough. You will never be good enough." Even with the sharp edges cutting into my skin, I still tried to pick up the shattered pieces of the vase, hoping it would make her less angry. When I had finished, and the floor was finally clean, another smash brought fury onto mum's face. A different, expensive vase was on the floor and shattered all over the previously clean floor.

"Fucking useless child!" I tried to apologize but she wouldn't listen. Lucifer has an evil laugh.

"Lauren, you have to listen to me. Look at me. It isn't real."

The voice became clearer but I couldn't do what it asked. My eyes were glued to my disappointed parents.

"Concentrate. Just focus. This isn't real."

How could this not be real? I was a disappointing child so how could my parents not be disgusted by me. I never stopped feeling this guilt. When my mum died, it only made me feel worse. Wait. My mum was dead. How could she be here? "I'm glad that murderous scum got me. I was finally free off your curse." I thought she killed herself? That's why I blamed myself all these years. But if she was dead, who was this?

"Lauren please!"

The voice was loud enough to bring me out of the grip of my mother's glare and I turned my head sideways to see another Lucifer standing outside the window. Outside was raging with a snowstorm. No, not snow. Ash.

"Lucifer?" Both of my fake parents turned to the other Lucifer and their faces turned to pure fear. The storm outside slowly stopped as I calmed myself. Lucifer was able to open the door and walk in. But he ran instead. He ran straight to me where he pulled me into his arms.

"Oh Lauren I'm so sorry." Sorry for what?

"What's going on? How are there two of you?" The devil beside me stood up to my two torturers.

"You guys can go. She doesn't belong here. That's an order." Both adults gave a small bow and left.

"Who are they? My mum's dead." Lucifer helped me off the ground where I had been picking up broken pieces of clay from the vase.

"Please don't freak out, but you are in hell."