Chapter 434 - Me? Why? (3)

Cale, Lily, and Basen. None of the three could easily say anything.

Cale couldn't speak because he knew he had spoken nonsense to Lily, Basen couldn't speak because he was thinking about what Cale had said, and finally, Lily was remaining quiet because of her, 'what is going on?' comment that she had subconsciously made.

However, that silence was soon broken, and Lily was the first to speak.

"I'm not going to be the territory lord; I'm going to be a knight!"

She didn't know why that unexpected question had suddenly been directed at her, but she tried her best to share her intentions with Cale. She tightly clenched her fists.
Of course, Cale flinched as he watched Lily suddenly clench her fists, however, Lily did not manage to see that.

"I wish to become a strong knight who will protect the territory and the kingdom!"
"Okay, do that."
"Huh?"

Lily, who was planning on sharing more of her aspirations with Cale, flinched in shock after hearing Cale immediately accept it. Cale didn't care and said what he wanted to say.

"Work hard, but don't work too hard. Children need to play."

'She's not even a teenager yet, so she should play. Shouldn't she?'

Cale nodded at his own question. He then made eye contact with someone who was looking directly at him.
Basen's eyes seemed more concerned than ever as he quietly looked toward Cale.

Cale scratched his head after seeing the complicated gaze.

'This kind of atmosphere doesn't suit me well.'

Cale debated for a moment before starting to speak again.

"Basen, is there something you want to do like Lily does?"

Basen's pupils started to shake.
What he wanted to do was taking care of the internal administrative and financial needs under Cale's leadership as the territory lord. That was because Cale was famous, not just in the kingdom, but throughout the entire continent and had lots of things to do. He wanted to help his brother, who would be busy with external affairs, lead the territory in a safe and innovative way.

"You're probably interested in looking after the territory and helping it grow, right?"

He was right. His hyung-nim was right, but Basen did not respond. He didn't look like he was trying to be rude. In fact, he looked to be deep in thought about what to say.

"Mm."

Cale thought for a moment before starting to speak again.

"You guys are still young, but I will tell you the truth since you are both intelligent but more so because you are my younger siblings."

'My younger siblings.'

Those words made Basen's shoulders shake. He then noticed Cale calmly looking at him.

It made him recall the younger version of his brother who was blunt and almost rude as he spoke but always looked at him with a pitying but calm gaze.

"I do not wish to be the territory lord."

Cale decided to be honest. It might make him seem like an eldest son with no sense of responsibility, however, it didn't matter since they all thought that he was originally trash, right?

"To be honest with you guys, I wish to rest after finishing what I am doing right now."

Basen's eyes opened wide.

"I want to live over by Harris Village and live a quiet and peaceful life."
"Ah."

Basen let out a quiet gasp but could not think about what to say as he looked at Cale scratch his cheeks while saying these things in a slightly awkward and embarrassed tone.