N°6 [The result of our mistakes, the consequences we feared]

When he looked at the child who was playing a little further away, Nyx found himself smiling. Smiling painfully, his soul squeezing together in spite of himself, in spite of the fact that he only wanted to be happy, that he only wanted to enjoy the view.

Because PaperJam did not deserve to be hated. Far from it.

Oh, Nyx knew he was a voyeur, a little too much so. No wonder people thought he was a stalker. But he couldn't stop this ugly mania from resurfacing, from pushing him to hide in the shadows to analyze, examine, spy without the slightest guilt.

He wasn't doing anything wrong after all, was he? He laughed at the thought, thinking himself ridiculous, but mostly in bad faith. One more thing he and his father had in common. One more thing in common that made him grind his teeth.

He shook his head, returned to his observation of PaperJam.

The announcement of his birth had reached Nyx's ear canals without much trouble. After all, the black-boned skeleton was particularly attentive to everything that was going on in the multiverse, especially since his little "adventure" with Nightmare and Ink. And it was hard to ignore the fact that Error, the Destroyer of the World, and Ink, the guardian of those same worlds, were finally a happy couple who had given birth to a child: PaperJam.

Nyx had come to observe the fruit of this union. This child, this small adorable skeleton, who was currently heckling in the snow in company of Fresh, another inhabitant of the multiverse and incidentally brother of Error.

PaperJam, who was only a few months old, had the size and abilities of a six-year-old child. No wonder: he had been created by the accidental fusion of his two parents' magics. It was crazy to see how much he resembled them, and deep down, deep down...

[ Nyx hated it ]

He petrified. No, he didn't. No, he couldn't think that. He couldn't look so bitterly at that child. He couldn't blame him for being born, for existing. He couldn't blame anyone. After all, he knew it would happen. He knew the Creator and the Destroyer would eventually start a family.

Nyx had only hoped it would take longer.

Damn it, man...

He gritted his teeth, clutching his scarf with force. His soul pulsed faster, much too fast, with emotions he hated. Negativity that he was struggling to master.

Shit, man... Shit... (sighs) !

He shook his head, closed his eyes, tried to divert his mind from his foul thoughts. He hated himself for thinking like that, he hated himself for being angry at people who had done nothing. He was the culprit, the one and only culprit. He, uh...

He blew, gently opened his eyes, his fists clenched. He'd better go now...

He straightened his head, ready to teleport further away to open a portal .... And froze. He froze in front of that pink, yellow and blue look in his eyes. That look of innocence and curiosity that had been planted in his eyes, staring intrigued at him. PaperJam looked at him.

Nyx flinched. No, he must have been imagining things, it was impossible for the child to see him. After all he was just a shadow, a shadow hidden in the darkness, invisible to anyone's eyes. It was impossible that...

But it had to be when Fresh turned away from the child to get them a snack. It was obvious when PaperJam took advantage of his uncle's inattention and walked towards him.

It must have been obvious when the child faced him, stopping a few steps away from him:

"Why do you look sad, mister?"