Tell the truth | jeverus

" alright, Dorcas! Truth or dare."

The great hall echoed as the group of 7th years cackled in the night. Over half the class had went home this Christmas, leaving the rest bored in an empty castle.

Out of 140 kids, 35 of which were gryffindor, only 20 were left behind.

And james Potter was one of them. Along with sirius and remus who stayed to give him company.

" truth of course." Dorcas said and Mckinnon clicked her tongue.

" ever so cautious. Ok, is it true you were the reason why Evans and Caleb Grimsby broke up?" She said with a interested glint in her eyes.

Dorcas retaliated but the truth potion she had taken 10 minutes prior took affect, the words slipping past her without any filter.

" yes, Caleb found me and lily kissing in a spare classroom last month." She said quickly and as the words fell from her mouth everyones eyes widened.

Marlene was slack jawed as dorcas tried to hide behind her hands, james and sirius laughing their asses off in awe.

" oh my god, no wonder he hates you!" Sirius exclaimed.

"Oh shut up, he hates you too. Ever since you kissed his ex girlfriend Mary in front of him."

" it was a dare! And all of hogwarts knows im gay, its not my fault he cant take a joke." Sirius defended.

James snorted and threw his head back.

" bad year for Grimsby." Remus whispered and james laughed more.

" just terrible."

" ok ok. Potter, truth or dare." Dorcas asked, trying to put the whole girlfriend stealing behind her.

" truth." James responded lazily.

" oh come on! You've been choosing truth the entire time, dont be a wuss."

" what can i say Padfoot im just feeling non adventurous today." James raised his hands in defense. Sirius looked at him as if he was dying.

" alright calm down Black. Potter, do you have a crush on anyone?" Dorcas asked eagerly.

James' nodded and rest his elbows on his knees.

" mhm. Snape."

" aha! I knew you still liked Evans- wait WHAT?" Sirius' triumph was cut short with james' unexpected news. It seemed like everyone around them was shocked to say the least.

"Snape? As in you mortal enemy snape?"

" well i wouldn't call him my mortal enemy-"

" the one you bully?'

" well-"

" you talking about me?"

Everyone's heads whipped around as a cold, deep voice said behind them. James' heart jumped to his throat when he saw Severus standing there, holding a book and his wand with a light at the end of it.

" Are you all aware its 1 am, aka time for rounds? And of course the head boy and a gryffindor prefect sitting around sipping on what i'm assuming is a mix between truth potion and firewhiskey." He said with an unamused look.

" Fuck off Snivilus." Sirius spat and Severus rolled his eyes.

" Be quiet will ya? i may be lenient but Filch isn't. And neither is his bloody cat." He said and walked out, closing the door on the way.

James smiled as he watched him walk away and took a quick swig of alcohol before standing up and running behind him.

" wait hold up!"

" where the hell is he going?" Longbottom asked as he watched James run as fast as he could out the door.

" out chasing the boy he loves i presume." Dorcas snorted.

" Shut up, he never said he was in love with him." Emmeline, a ravenclaw girl quipped.

" I think its time you give up your James Potter fantasy Vance, he's never run that fast even for quidditch drills." Frank smiled.

She huffed and crossed her arms, announcing that someone else should go already.

Outside the great hall, james stopped severus by pulling his arm back before he could leave, hiding behind the large oak doors to keep them hidden. The dark castle allowed minimal lighting but severus' light was enough to illuminate both their faces.

"talking about me behind my back?" Severus raised an eyebrow.

James smiled dreamily and shook his head, resting his arms on severus shoulders.

" would never dream of it darling."

He leaned in, giving severus a light kiss before pulling back and smiling at his boyfriend like an idiot.

" truth potions huh. Did you reveal anything?"

" not with your amazing occlumency lessons."

" mediocre at best."

" Nope. Amazing."

Severus scoffed but he couldn't help the smitten blush he got from being complimented by James.

" So... they don't know?" Severus asked, desperate to shift James' attention on anything else.

" Nope. Well they know i like you but they don't know we're together."

Severus nodded and sighed in relief. It was his idea to date in secret, at least until they graduated. Being the odd one out in his house, add a gryffindor hero boyfriend onto the equation and it would not be pretty.

" i should get to bed soon." Severus whispered as james just kept getting closer and closer.

" can i come?" James smirked.

Severus tried to stifle a smile and closed his eyes. His roommates were gone, christmas holidays.

" sure potter. You can come."