Valkyria Calls

Scarlet didn't understand where she was nor could she recall how she got here. Attempting to think about how she got here would result in a painful headache, almost as if her mind was prohibiting her thoughts.

"Save Europa... Save Valkyria." A voice echoed through her head

Scarlet tilted her head in confusion, "What?"

Suddenly a series of lights twinkle in her vision, The sounds of gunfire and screaming was deafening her ears. The flashing images of people dying to men in some medieval-like helmet could be seen with a rifle alongside a blonde man who was seemingly commanding an army. The next thing she saw was a woman with white hair and red eyes taking down an army with her destructive blue power.

"Scarlet...." A voice said. Scarlet jerked her head around to locate the voice but the images kept through her mind. She suddenly faces a glowing figure in the distance with her finger pointed at something. Scarlet turned around to see her, Tej, David, Lieutenant Alistair, and Sergent Jude forming a firing line behind a sandbag. Scalet recognised the moment, this was a year ago in Kabul when she and the squad were holding off a wave of Jihadists from attacking injured friendly forces.  She'd remember that this was when the odds are against them but they still manage to stay alive.

"Save Europa... Save Valkyria." an echoing voice whisper. "Treacherous Warriors... from another world..." 

"Scarlet!"

The Scottish Marine jolted up from her medical bed to which shocked the medical staff. Scarlet felt as if she'd run the entire base, panting heavily from what she'd witnessed. Scarlet rubs off the sweat that poured down her face like a river and hastily removes the blanket off her lap.

"Woah! Scarlet, you ok." Scarlet turns her head to see her Nepali partner. He put his right hand on her shoulder as looked into her eyes with worry. "Are you sure you're ok, Mac?"

"Never better." Scarlet confidently replies. Though half of her mind was still sceptical of the dream she had. But it felt more like a nightmare.

"You always say that." A feminine voice jumps in. Scarlet then turned her attention to a female in the closest seat to the tent's entrance. It was Corporal Sarah Nightingale, one of the squad's trained medics.

Sarah has a calm and "ladylike" personality but when it comes to the team or civilians she gets very concerned and protective. She seems to care deeply for the lives of the squad and civilians, almost like a mother. Scarlet respected her ever since she joined the squad, unlike most people. Scarlet smiles at the female medic,

"That's military life for you missy. Until you get into the battlefield you'll know what I mean." Scarlet then saw Terry on life support on the opposite side of the tent. She slowly got up and walked to the young private. Terry was like a little brother in the squad, so naive and cautious. She'd never thought he would be alive after what he'd been through.

Tej spotted the sadness in her eyes and placed his hand on his partner's shoulder.

"Me and Nightingale made sure he'll be alright. Right now his condition is stable, so don't need to worry about him."

Scarlet let out a sigh of relief. "So the mission was worth it after all."

"Speaking of the mission, I think you two were supposed to report to the Lieutenant?"

"Yeah," Tej replies. "And I'm pretty confident that he's not in a good mood right now.

****

Half an hour later...

Alistair slammed the files on his desk revealing images that were taken from a UAV earlier today. "I know I authorized you to find Fisher. But I never asked any of you to commit this kind of violence! What the fuck is wrong with you all?!"