The Beacon of light

In the middle of the dry mountainous terrain of Afghanistan, a lone vehicle that belongs to the British armed forces could be seen driving along the sanded road. Infamous for its many 'surprises' lay under the sands ranging from IED, (Improvised Explosive Device), AT Mines, (Anti-Tank mines), and traps.

The road was quiet as the wind blew the sand hard towards the east, the temperature was unbearably hot, and the sunlight shone unopposed in the cloudless sky

The road was quiet as the wind blew the sand hard towards the east, the temperature was unbearably hot, and the sunlight shone unopposed in the cloudless sky. This was the daily life that Lieutenant Alistair Marsden had to put up with for the past eight years. Though he was far from comfortable with it despite his long career in the country, Alistair always hoped for a shady day to hide from the blistering sun.

Despite this mission being his proposal, he appears to be regretting his own decision. The boredom of the empty wasteland and mountains, while the fear of an explosive device was starting to rattle his mind. Though the music was playing from the speaker in the rear of the vehicle, the Lieutenant wasn't enjoying his subordinate's taste of music and was showing hints of boredom.

Alistair sighs and faces the driver with a weary expression, "Thomson, What do you think of the weather today."

Sergeant Jude Thomson chuckles at the question asked, "Bored sir?" The Sergeant smiles cheekily at the Lieutenant, knowing the same question he asked every time they're out on patrol.

"Uh... Yeah, big mistake going out at this time of the month. We'll probably die from the bloody heat than from the pipe bomb the Arabs place under here."

Alistair views the back mirror to see a glimpse of Tej sharpening his Kukri blade and Scarlet leaning on the buttstock of her gun staring aimlessly at the abandoned desert from underneath David's legs.

"I'm sure those lots back there must be bored shitless as I am."

"I'm certain they're sir."

At the back seat, Tej sheaths his blade back to its scabbard and glances at his partner with caution. Tej had made a fool of himself when he made an effort to report Scarlet's condition into the medical bay but nobody took interest. They only assumed Tej was stressed from the actions he's been participating in this past week, but Tej was stubborn and kept insisting that Scarlet be checked.

Tej locks his eyes at his partner and gives her a tap on the shoulder to get her attention,

"Feeling alright?" Tej asked with concern.

Scarlet sighs with a hint of bitterness but remains facing the desert, "I'm fine. You really should stop asking, mate, it's getting irritating."

"I'm just worried right now. You were caught on fire, your hair went blue on the tips and your god damn attitude."

"Hey!" Scarlet aggressively spun her head towards Tej, "I'm bloody ok, Stop winding me up!"

Tej sighs in defeat and slowly lays back on the seat. Right now the Nepali wanted peace to calm his mind. He took out his journal and started to sketch the mountains that could be viewed through the mirror. Meanwhile, Scarlet shut her eyes and attempted to force herself to sleep and hope this would calm her down.