My Little Shadow

Summary: This takes place many years before Alina and the events of the first shadow and bone book but after the events of the black heretic and shadow fold. The Darkling has returned to the little palace after a fight with Drüskelle and finds something out of place.  Contains minor spoilers for the shadow and bone show. I know this isn't true to the Darkling's character but I've been craving some fluff to warm my heart and giving the darkling one was a nice change from writing him as the psychopath he is. 

The sun had long since gone down by the time the Darkling had reached the little palace. The maids already having extinguished the candles leaving only the moonlight to guide the general back to his chambers. His face felt sticky. Some blood from the  Drüskelle still there, evidence from what had transpired. He had lost too many good soldiers today and he was in serious need of a drink. His mud and blood-encrusted boots thudding softly against the marble floor. But to his ears, every step felt like banging a gong in the otherwise quiet palace. 

Shadows flickered around his feet and along the walls as he strode through the halls. Mind only on taking a bath and downing a few bottles of kvas. He doesn't notice the little shadow following him. A shadow he does not control. The shadow has been waiting for someone, him or really anyone else, but preferably him. Creeping around the corners of the hallways following him from a safe distance, heart beating erratically. The darkling and the shadow near the hall leading to his war room and chambers before he notices it. 

Slowing down his pace a bit he watches from the corner of his eye as the little figure travels from one shadow to the next like a little dance. The figure is quite small, nothing a Grisha as powerful as himself had to worry about. Carefully he lets his shadows wrap around the wrist of the figure, it lets out a quiet yelp as it is pulled into the moonlight. The Darkling relaxes at the sight of one of his Grisha. It appears to be a young girl no older than the age of 11. The front of her robe had come undone revealing the front of her plain nightgown. Her Hazel eyes stare into his, pink lips parted. The moonlight reflected off her pale skin, thick auburn curls framing her small face. He mentally groans.

"What are you doing child?" His voice comes out harsher than intended and she flinches. 

"My apologies moi soverennyi I just-" she stops eyes darting away. 

"Speak child," He commands softly but a command no less. The girl starts to play with the shadows on her wrist. Running her hand over it in a petting motion, she doesn't look up as she responds. 

"I couldn't sleep, so I went exploring." Had she been looking the girl would have seen the darkling's eyes soften slightly. He remembered being young and curious. In spite of his better judgment, he held a gloved hand out to her. She hesitates wide eyes flickering between his eyes and outstretched hand. After a few moments, she tentatively places her hand in his. The size difference is almost comical. 

"What is your name little shadow?" He questions leading her away from the war room. 

"Karina Krok sir," She replies simply. 

"Can you enlighten me as to why you couldn't sleep, Miss. Karina." 

"I can not moi sovernnyi," She says sheepishly, looking down at her slippers. 

"Nonsense now tell me what plights you." 

"I know it seems silly especially after all of the wonderful things here and the honor it is to serve in the second army-" 

"But you miss home?" The darkling finishes. She nods. "Tell me Miss.Karina what do you find dissatisfactory about the little palace that you wish to go back to the poor excuse of a village you called home?" He is careful to keep the disappointment out of his voice.