Behind The Scar

Levi sat in his office chair, tapping his finger lightly on his desk as he looked down at his desk.

"So You're from the Underground"

"Yes" you replied softly.

He hadn't heard anyone else come from the Underground it was only him, which always made him feel like an outcast, like if people knew it as soon as they saw him. He understood what you meant when you said you had no home, because down in the underground, no one had a home.

He felt a flow of guilt wash up on him as he realized how awfully he had treated you over some sense of recognizing you. It could have simply been from seeing you down there perhaps many years ago.

"I'm sorry, I didn't say anything before...I'm just scared for my safety" you lied.

He finally looked up at the girl in front of him. He now understood that fear in her eyes and that look on her face she held every time he had told her he recognized her. He was certain that the only real reason you had known his name in the beginning was because you may had seen or heard about his status in the Underground.

"How'd you get here?" he said in a worried tone.

You blinked not believing your ears. Was Levi actually worried for you? Had he really believed your lie?

You felt a ghost smile wanting to appear on your face, but you had to put your play of victim and manipulation at work.

You looked down at your lap. You stood silent as you kept your eyes from blinking, allowing tears to form into your eyes. Having enough tears sitting on your eyes you looked up at him with a painful look.

"Please, I don't want to go back" you whispered "I don't want to go back to that dark hole"

You scrunched your brows in worry, allowing one of the tears to drop down onto your cheek. Levi's eyes widen, he wasn't much of an affectionate person, but he understood the fear of having to return that god awful place. He reached out one of his hands to you.

You looked at his hand that sat in front of you. Lightly, you reached for it. You felt his cold hand as they held yours.

"Y/N look at me...I need you to tell me so we can fix this ok" he shot you his best smile

This...This is surprisingly easy. Seems as the Underground is a weak topic for Levi. 

You gave him a nod, " I uh, I didn't pay the fee... I jumped the guard and ran up the staircase. I only did it because-"

"You didn't have enough" he finished.

You nodded your head at him. You can see the full empathy in his eyes.

a thought jumped into your head as you studied him

could it be...it would make sense. 

You could use to this to an advantage, an alibi.

"Levi, you said you've seen me somewhere..would it be from the underground"

Levi stood quiet, he was 100% certain that was where he had seen you before, everything just made sense. Your unexpressive character, yet emotional was an everyday character built in the underground. You carried a sense of being unafraid yet, behind those close doors you were one of the most caring and fearful cadets he's meet. The way you treat Eren, the way you hate every time he was mistreated or locked up. He understood that you viewed Eren's imprisonment as being in the Underground. He learned you didn't want Eren to face the same living conditions you went through.

It made sense why you were so good at defending and fighting. Why you were so secretive, why you didn't have a home, why you didn't mind the company. You knew what loneliness felt like and he knew you never wanted to feel it again.

You were just a lonely individual just like him.

"Yes, it seems that's where we've meet. It's coming back to me now ,it's just been so long ago it's all a blur to me" he confessed to you 

"How did you make it out here?" you asked him, your mind curious to learn about humanities origin.

He looked at your hand, they felt rough and hard, instead of the delicate features it illustrated to him. 

The hands of an Undergroundsman 

"Remember that infamous trio of bandits that would go around raiding the Underground"

No.

"Yes" you lied

"Well, let's just say they got caught. They were given two choices, Be executed by the Military Police or be killed by titans"

So, Levi came here with two other friends.

Could it be Hange and Erwin? They seem like the only one's close enough to him.

"It was a girl and a boy right?" you questioned

You saw as a faint smile played his lips, remembering his friends.

"Yes, so you do remember"

"Kinda, was it Hange and Erwin? I can't exactly remember their appearance"

He sighed as he finally let go of your hand, sitting back into his chair. He looked out into the distance as he responded to you.

"I can see why you'd mix them up, but no. Furlan was a blonde yes, but he was a bit shorter as for Isabel , she was a red head with two pigtails"

Something about those descriptions sounded so familiar to you.

You felt your scar beginning to tingle, feeling a sting in your chest.

It started getting hotter as you thought back to the incident with Levi.

Wait.

Your eyes widen as your scar now ignited to full flames.

Those hunting green and blue eyes, how could I forget them...

 It was them.

They were the ones you had killed that one rainy day. The day Levi had left you the scar.

The only scar that's never been able to fully heal.

The day you learned to fear Levi.

You felt your eyes burning with tears as you thought about it.

".... And where are they?" you asked quietly, waiting for your confirmation

"....They're dead Y/N. They were killed by a titan"

and there it was.

It really was them. 

You had killed the only two people Levi had cared deeply about.

You now understood the burning sensation of the scar that sat on your skin.

It was the burning of rage and anger Levi felt that very day, and he left it for you to relive it everyday.