Chapter 9: Visitation

'Visitation'

26-Aug-2030, 0900R

MAJ Paul Blofis, US Army (Ret.)

1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Author's Note: this first scene was made in reference to the following video (it seemed appropriate; I've noticed that dads and combat veterans have strange senses of humor, so what happens when a girl's father and big brother, both of whom are combat veterans, decide to see her off at school?):

"Okay, you kids have everything you need?" I asked as I pulled the Suburban into the high school's parking lot.

"We're good!"

"I'm ready!"

"Unfortunately..."

A mix of responses came from the five teenagers in the back: Estelle, Justin Hanaway, Jack Davis, Kim Davis, and Alyssa Davis. Estelle, Jack, and Kim were on their first day of sophomore classes, while Justin and Alyssa were on their first day of junior classes. Percy—who sat shotgun—and I were initially driving Estelle and Justin to school, but we also picked up the Davises due to Jenny getting sick and Noah staying home to take care of her. The girls seemed more or less excited for the first day back to school, in contrast to the boys, who showed barely any enthusiasm.

"Alright, guys. Have a good day!" I said as I stopped at the curb.

"Bye, kiddos. Bye, Esty!" Percy said with a smile. "Be good and play nice with the other kids!"

"Augh, Percy!" she spluttered, embarrassed. Of course, like the proper dad I was, I decided to engage in the fun too.

"Bye-bye, sweetie! I love you!" I declared through the car's open window.

"DON'T FORGET TO HYDRATE!" Percy shouted, making several confused students look our way. Estelle, meanwhile, covered her face as much as possible and quickened her pace.

"I LOVE YOU, ESTY! DON'T ENGAGE IN FORNICATIONS!"

"HAVE A GOOD DAY AT SCHOOL! DON'T DO DRUGS!"

"BYE, ESTELLE! BYE, JUSTIN! BYE, JACK! BYE, KIM! BYE, ALYSSA!"

"HI, PRINCIPAL MORRIS!" Percy loudly greeted as he sighted the school's principal, Morris Downey, by the school doors.

"Good morning!" he replied with a cheerful wave.

"I'M ESTELLE'S BIG BROTHER AND I LOVE HER!"

"AND I'M HER FATHER!" I added. "WE'RE GONNA MISS HER SO MUCH WHILE SHE'S AT SCHOOL!"

"I FEEL YOU!" he shouted in sympathy, a father himself. "BUT IT'LL GET BETTER! HANG IN THERE!"

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!"

"TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES, GENTLEMEN! STAY STRONG!"

"THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU, ESTELLE! BE GOOD!" Percy finally shouted before we started moving again.

"Nice one, fellas!" said the school resource officer—Officer Keith Shaw—as he walked towards us, keeping an eye on the drop-off traffic.

"Hi, Officer Keith!" Percy greeted as the two men exchanged a high-five. "How've you been?"