Chapter 18: Matrimony

'Matrimony'

01-Sep-2030, 1455R

Clarisse La Rue, Daughter of Ares

Camp Half-Blood

New York City, New York, USA

Special thanks to @dovahkiin_of_legend for the very interesting idea!

"So... It's your big day. How do you feel?" Annabeth asked as we finished prepping my dress in the Big House. "Any of those pre-wedding jitters?"

"Nah, just glad that it's today!" I exhaled, smiling in relief. After such a long wait, it was finally here, and I didn't even feel that nervous or hesitant. Just ready to do the ceremony, have the reception, and start flying to Hawaii—we once heard Paris as an idea, but Chris and I thought that was just a little too much for a honeymoon. Not only was a domestic tourist spot cheaper, we didn't know any French (despite me hanging around Silena for several years).

"Alright, just don't lose yourself, alright?"

"I know, I know..."

Truth be told, there was a bit of a melancholy element to it. There were a lot of friends that I wish were here for this: Lee, Michael, Beckendorf, and Silena, for instance. Even my own mom—who I had a halfway decent relationship with at best—but she lost her battle with lung cancer some years ago. But I made peace with all of it, for I couldn't change the past, only focus on the future.

"Okay... we gotta get rolling," my maid of honor said, snapping me from my thoughts. "Okay, big girl. We're all prepped. Nyssa, get Gleeson in here, please."

"You got it!" the daughter of Hephaestus replied, heading for the door to call for the satyr. "Coach—oh... uh, hi. She's in—"

"I know, kid," a rough male voice replied, making me jerk my head towards the doorway. Standing there was none other than my father, Ares. However, rather than his standard biker outfit, he wore a clean, crisp suit. With the sunglasses on, he looked like a Secret Service agent (or literally any fed in existence).

"Uh... Lord Ares," Annabeth greeted after a moment of silence, cutting off whatever speech she had when he held up his hand.

"It's fine," I said, standing up the best I could with the dress on. "Dad."

"Clarisse. You look... nice," he said after a moment, before motioning for Annabeth and Nyssa to leave. The two quickly left, closing the door behind them.

"Something up?"

"Just came to attend. And before you say anything, I'm not here to muscle into Hedge's spot as he walks you down the aisle. Just here to attend, give my best wishes, all that jazz."

"Oh... well, thanks."

"Honestly, I know I haven't been the best father. And I'm not expecting forgiveness. But I'd rather be here now than never, especially when my daughter's getting married. And I've heard the father-daughter dance is an important element... if you'd rather do it with Hedge, it's fi—"

"That's... actually pretty sweet, Dad," I said with a smile, cutting him off. Honestly, I was glad he was here. I had longed for his approval for a long time and still did, to a degree. Plus, we'd improved our relationship a decent bit—not to a normal level, but to a good one at the very minimum—over the past twenty years. "I'm glad you're here, really."

"Yeah... me too. If it's any help, I told Aphrodite and just about everyone else to stay the hell away from the wedding and not interfere. Also, regarding Rodriguez... don't tell him, but I approve of him."