1

MERCY

"Make sure you don't sell credit oo, Mercy..." Mum continued to rant as she arranged the wrapped pap on a tray.

"You know I don't sell credit, Màámi (Mom)" I answered almost immediately and she nodded.

"I know, but new thing starts everyday and today is unpredictable," she added and I shook my head in disbelief.

Typical mom.

Dragging up my trouser till it covered my belly button, I blew out a breath of relief. It was so funny how I was suddenly outgrowing my skirts and trousers because of my hips.

Damn you, puberty.

I quickly top my dressing with a plain pink shirt and my rubber slippers which had been my favorite since JSS3 (funny how my small feet did not grow in size) then I picked up my Òsùká and placed it on my head before balancing the tray of wrapped pap(Eko) on it.

"Okay oo, Màámi." I called with a little smile as I balanced the tray on my head without it shaking before walking out of the small passage.

"Ata jere o (you will sell.)" I heard her pray and my smile broaden. With a quiet amen from me, I advanced into the street with my usual singing voice.

"Ológì yin ti de oo, (your pap seller is here oo.)" I sang as I walk along the familiar roads. "If you never taste this kind pap, you never taste anything ooo." I added, increasing my voice a little. And just before I opened my mouth to continue, I heard...

"Omo ológì! (Pap seller.)"

...From different angles.

*

Times doesn't truly wait for anyone 'cause before I knew it, I had returned home three times to carry new trays of pap and sold everything before 5:00pm in the evening and right now, I was back on the street with a special package for my special uncle.

As I walked into Mayowa's Estate, I couldn't help but stop midway to admire the street lights.

Omoh... This person get better taste oo, see how the lights dey shine. Kai, I salute.

I laughed out at my own thoughts before resuming my walk. Well, the estate was beautiful but the fact that the owner of the estate was Mayowa Adeleke wouldn't stop surprising me. I mean, she's just a 28years old lady.

"God... Help me too oo, I no small nah. No let my mama suffer for life naw, she don suffer tire. Jhoor bab— Eje Jesu (blood of Jesus)!" I flinched to the side at the loud horn.

My face morphed into an angry one as I turned around, ready to yell at the crayfish head that decided to bury me alive.

My eyes widened as I held gaze with the chairman of the estate, my father's best friend, my special uncle.

"Ah. Uncle Lagbaja." I fell on my knees quickly.

Ah, thank God say I look back oo... I for don curse my helper.

Ah, Mercy!

"Stand up, you silly girl." The rich baritone voice of the elderly man reached my ears and I looked up with a smile then stood up. "For me?" I was so lost in the beauty of this elderly man, I mean, he was fifty but he looked like a thirty year old. He was dressed so casually, all in the glory of tee-shirt, washed pants and sneakers.

Guy. Who fit know say this papa na billionaire?

"Mercy..." A blush crept unto my cheek at being caught staring but I didn't mind. I only shrugged.

"I'm sorry, sir. You're just too fine." I blurted out before my head could reconsider what my words were suppose to be. I slapped my palm against my mouth as my eyes widen.

Mr. Lagbaja laughed, a laughter that reverberated through the silent evening and I was sure his driver was laughing too because I could hear muffled sounds from the Pathfinder beside us.

"I get that alot, my dear."

"Ah, don't let those elese sho sho sho (girls with tiny legs) deceive you, sir. They're not even fine."

Again. Again. Mercy, you spoke before you could think.

Again.

"You have a smart mouth, daughter. And that reminds me alot about Oladele." My smile faltered at the mention of the name and I felt my heart churn slightly but I quickly covered if up with a smile. "Your father was a handsome man too."

Yes, he was, and I wish he was the one I was adoring every time I see him in jeans.

"My mum said you shouldn't pay me, sir." I dragged out, changing the topic and once again, he laughed.

"Tell Bolanle the money isn't for her but for her pretty daughter which is you." He said and I felt my heart skip a beat.

This doesn't sound good.

I instinctively took a step backwards when he took a step forward. He looked at me for some seconds then burst into laughter.

Okay. The laughter is getting too much.

"Sir?"

"Mercy." He stopped laughing, "Do you really think I'm like those big men you see on TV who betray their best friend and sleep with their daughters? God for bid... You're a daughter to me and I can not do that to my daughter, right?"

He sounded convincing but I knew I wasn't convinced. I mean, I had given the man a go ahead by crushing on him.

Crush? Eww, Mercy.

"I know, sir. And I'm really grateful for everything you've been doing for my mum and I since my dad passed away. Please don't pay." I finally spoke, after a good five seconds of silence. Mr. Lagbaja moved closer and this time, I didn't move.

He dipped his hand in his jean and brought out an envelope, I retreated my hands at first thinking it was money but he held my hand up and placed the envelope on my palm.

"Don't say no to this offer, Mercy. I'm just repaying all the good deeds your father had done for me when he was alive." I was dumbfounded.

What my father had done?

What could my father had done to this billionaire when his was alive?

Whatever it was, I was grateful.

Who wouldn't?

"Goodnight, Mercy. And tell your mother my friends are in love with her paps, I would love it if you could deliver them to their doorsteps tomorrow." I nodded, that was the only thing I could do as I wonder what was in the envelope on my palm.
"Goodnight, Mercy."

"Goodnight, sweetest uncle."

And I was back. My face morphed into a happy one and I did a mock curtsey. The old man laughed as he entered his car and I smiled.

I watched the car drive into the estate and I smiled. I held onto the envelope in my held with care as I skipped my way out of Mayowa's Estate wondering what was in the letter.

Hehehehe

What do you think about Mercy's character?

Ever crushed on a fifty year old fine man?👀

>>>Ewwww, not me but Don Moen has my heart forever 🐼 The man is fineee in jeans😂🤲🏿

Guess what's in the envelope 😌

Heyyyy... It doesn't take more than a minute of your sweet time, just tap on the star below to vote, then comment.

Oh yes, what do you think about the chapter?

Bye till I'm back🐼