7

MERCY

"Mercy!" I heard my mum call from the sitting room and I groaned, stretched out my weak limbs and yawned before placing my finished assignment books into my bag gently.

"I'm coming, ma." I answered quickly before she starts claiming that she has been calling me for ages and I didn't answer.

I've been calling you since morning but you decided to switch position with a wall, Abi?

I sighed out then glanced at my wall clock. Seven thirty-two in the night, wow. Time truly doesn't wait for any one.

Getting to the sitting room, I met my mum on the right couch with uncle Lagbaja's driver on the left couch and I frowned but quickly fell on my knees.

"Good evening, Sir." I greeted with my usual smile.

"Evening, Mercy. How has school been?" he asked and my smile stretched into a grin before boldly saying a 'fine, thank you sir'

"Well Mercy. Go and Pack your uniforms, you'll be spending the rest of the coming week in Lagbaja's mansion... His son is back from the UK and his father would like you to show him around town."

My eyebrows creased into a deep frown as I replayed my mom's words in my head.

Show him around town keh?

Don't they have maids nih?

I shrugged it off then nodded, it's not a big deal.

"Yes, ma." I sashayed my way back into my room to pack my uniforms and few clothes.

"Màámi?" I called calmly, as I looked up from the small box in my hand to my mom who was now standing akimbo with an I'm not playing look.

"Fine girl, don't Màámi me oo, you are old enough to know right from wrong, if you bring any unwanted pregnancy to this house I will disown you nih oo" she said and I frowned.

What happened again?

Believe me. I don't like it when I'm being given all these talks, I mean, I'm old enough and I've been hearing this same lines since I was six.

"Why are you saying this, you know I'm not that type of girl na," I replied, somehow annoyed that she could even think that of me.

"Better. You see this Lagbaja's house that you're going enh, be good and be extra careful. I heard his son is so handsome... Mercy don't let handsomeness of a boy enter your head oo, don't let me cry at the end when my friends are eating the fruit of their labor oo." She continued and I sighed,

Why am I even annoyed, this is my mother and she wants the best for me.
This is probably part of the best she could give me.

"I will be careful, ma. Are you okay now?" I assured her and her once stoic face stretched into a happy one.

Jesus Christ!

I watched her losen her wrapper and untie the knot at the edge. I smiled thinking it was money, only to see...

Pepper spray?

"Take this pepper spray. If that son tries anything enh, spray him with this." she explained as she tucked the small bottle in my box and I shook my head in amusement.

My mama don dey watch too much Korean movies.

Whose fault is it?

Definitely not me.

"I will, ma." I told her, and she smiled then hugged me slightly as we walked out to the sitting room.