Chapter 17

Lui's POV:

I stopped outside Murasaki's apartment and stared at the door in front of me. I can't believe I'm here. Stupid Aoi being the stupid hero and having me rethink everything in my stupid life is just stupid and he's making me feel bad for some of the shit I've done. If he hadn't shown up then I might have been able to redeem myself. I went to knock on the door but then stopped, mid-knock. But if he hadn't shown up then I wouldn't have had someone to talk to. And then there's his brother and family.

-Flashback-

"I lost my family when I was four." He said, and the look on his face told me that this was one of the bravest things he had ever done. Well, kudos to him I guess. Not everyone has the balls to face their demons head-on. He has my respect.

"What?" I stared at him, confused. Where was this coming from, though? What spurred him to try and make this kind of change? Even with what has been brought to light, I'm not worth saving if that's what he was trying to do. He's the wonder boy, so I guess I just have to trust the process because what else can I do?

"My brother and I were put into care when I was four and he was six. A year later, I got adopted and my brother found fame. I didn't manage to speak to him until we found each other again three months ago." He looked at me with a sad smile. I didn't know he had a backstory. I guess it made sense, though. No one does what he does just because. He was once a victim as well. "You're the only person who knows this."

-End of Flashback-

I still don't get why he told me, or how no one else knows something so big. He must have told someone else - even if it was by mistake. He's a blabbermouth. Who am I kidding? Of course, he's told someone else about this. He must have told anyone in the past seven years. That's too big of a burden for anyone to carry on their own, let alone him, and he would never be able to think of anything when he's asked about his past - he's stupid and terrible at lying or thinking of stuff up on the spot.

Plus, he knew Shakadera and Kurenai as a kid, and he seemed happy enough then. And then there's his smile. How much can it hide? I let out a small sigh, trying to take my mind off of it. I'm thinking way too much about this, it really doesn't matter. He's just a dumb kid. There's nothing special about him other than the fact that he can change the tide of a battle. But even that is pure luck on his part and misfortune on his opponent's part.

It seems that way, doesn't it, master?

What are you talking about?

It's a facade. It's all just for show. Nobody is that happy, especially after once being so sad. It would be so difficult to bounce back.

Don't underestimate this kid. He is capable of being that happy, despite his past and how irritating it can be, it's all he seems to know.

I should be the one telling you not to underestimate him, master.

What are you talking about?

That smile of his isn't real. Nor is that laugh that you know so well. Then there are his eyes, they're all for show. Valt Aoi is the wonder boy, and he knows how to make a show using only what he's been given. People don't think of the tears he's never allowed himself to cry, or the secrets he's kept locked up, safe inside. No one thinks for a second about all the pain he's been through to gain his oh-so-perfect smile. He's just Valt Aoi, the boy we could all rely on. But not once did we care to stop, not once did we try to listen. He's all on his own. He's fighting this world all by himself. He's just like you in this world, except he still doesn't have a shoulder to lean on.