Chapter 1

Lui's POV:

I walked down the path next to the WBBA building, away from all the commotion about the bloody battle, with Luinor in my hand. I don’t wanna know what those bastards think about the match. I’m already tired of hearing about it, and it’s only just finished. I scowled down at my bey, the metallic surface glinting in the sunlight. I can’t believe I almost lost my 5-year championship title to a nobody. A goddamn nobody! I am so weak that it’s actually pathetic. The very thought of the level I have stooped down to actually makes me nauseous. It’s disgusting. How the hell can I go home and tell my father about this almost loss? He will literally kill me when he finds this out, and I am not looking forward to breaking the news to him. Better for him to find out through me rather than everyone else, I guess. I wonder if someone’s finally assassinated him. That would be something nice to go home to. It’s not like he’ll be missed.

My thoughts soon turned sour again when I heard more people talking about the goddamn battle. I growled, angry at myself for succumbing to such weakness. If there was no crack in the stadium, I would have lost everything I worked so hard to get. I underestimated him and almost had to pay the price. But I guess that’s the charm of the wonder boy. The one thing I don’t understand is how he went from nothing to something in the space of a tournament when he barely knew what he was doing. He still doesn’t. At least Kurenai trained non-stop and strove to understand his bey and get better at the sport, so it was understandable that he started going places. But Aoi… he knows nothing about anything, and it frustrates me so much. He didn’t deserve to get that far. He is just a childish idiot who doesn’t deserve a bey.

I sighed. What the hell is wrong with me? How did I fall to such a low level as his? I walked down a set of stairs and onto the beach next to me, then stopped at the seafront. I stared at the sea lapping against the sand, the waves rolling over the top of each other. I had always found water somewhat comforting - I have no idea why. I guess it reminds me of my mother. It was the same colour as her hair, and when the waves rippled against each other it made me think of her hair swaying in the wind. I narrowed my eyes at the water as my mother's smiling face came to mind. She wouldn’t want this. But who the hell cares? She didn’t want me either. That’s probably why she’s dead. Because it was disappointment after disappointment for her and she didn’t want to deal with it anymore. Not that I blame her. I would have done the same thing.

When I had had enough of the waves, irritated by their lack of answers and the memories that awaited me there, I went to throw Luinor into the sea, disappointed in both myself and my prism for showing such weakness in such an important match. Maybe this way I can finally let go. Let go of the memory of the woman who never even wanted me, even if she was the only reason I ever felt human. I didn’t deserve my bey. I never will. I let her down again. I don’t deserve this. Maybe I should perish along with my bey.

My thoughts were borderline suicidal, and that’s when a hand suddenly wrapped around my wrist, wrenching me out of my them and bringing me back to this awful reality. I looked behind me to see Kurenai, of all people, trying to stop me. What a surprise. His inner Aoi is showing. I still glared at him,  despite being partially grateful that he saved me. He doesn’t need to know about my inner turmoil. Who does he think he is, anyway? He has no say in any of this. I don’t deserve my bey, and he knows that. So why is he trying to stop me? I deserve to suffer for my mistakes, and that means losing everything that currently means something to me. It’s the price I have to pay, whether I want to or not. My father’s furious face flashed across my mind and I had to try and stop myself from physically flinching. It’s not fair. But then again, when was fairness ever in the picture?

“What the hell are you doing?” He yelled, his crimson eyes starting to glow, and I had to repress a shudder. I can’t have it getting bad again. Not now. I brushed it off, trying to ignore it. It was only once, it won’t happen again. Hopefully. I need to be strong. If not for myself, then for him. Kurenai was equally as pissed off as me, for several different reasons. Either way, the resentment in his eyes was clear as he returned my glare. He didn’t want to be here as much as I didn’t want him here. And yet he was still here for some goddamn reason.