Chapter 31

Lui's POV:

I waited on the stage for everything to begin, starting to get impatient. The quicker it begins, the quicker it ends, and I have things to do and places to be. To be honest, I'd just rather be anywhere other than here. As soon as I thought that, I heard Hanami's stupid voice, and I rolled my eyes with an annoyed sigh. Sometimes I don't know who's more annoying; him, or the prisclub. It's Valt. You can't get any worse than him.

"Alright boys and girls, the time you've all been waiting for is finally here. It's the elimination round, and the person who made all this happen is none other than Zac Zac!" Hanami announced as the spotlight landed on Zac.

"It is my honour to showcase something that is both entertaining and exhilarating. I hope you enjoy the show!" Zac said, and the crowd erupted into cheers and fangirl screams. Ugh. I hate it here. This makes me sick to my stomach. I don't understand how he can do this day in and day out. It's exhausting just watching him.

"And the referee for the battles will be none other than Alexander Shakadera." Hanami continued when the crowd had calmed down, and a spotlight landed on Shakadera.

"I'm hoping to see some wild battles, so don't leave me hanging, alright?" Shakadera laughed, and the whole crowd started clapping.

"And last, but not least, overlooking the battles with Lui Shirosagi, Shu Kurenai and Free De La Hoya!" Hanami said as spotlights landed on us. "Have you got any words for the wielders who are about to battle?"

"You better not disappoint me!" I growled, my eyes skimming the wielders, and then the audience. I ignored De La Hoya and focused on Kurenai, who just glared back at me. That look really doesn't suit him.

"You know, these wielders have trained their butts off to get here, which means that they're a lot stronger than you give them credit for," Kurenai said, making his way up the stairs at the side of the stage.

"Oh yeah? And of course, you would think that, because you yourself are as weak as these amateurs." I mocked

"You think so?" Kurenai smirked "Of course, you would think that, because you're as almighty God, right?"

"That's right, but I'm guessing you think you've gotten strong enough to be actually worth the effort," I replied

"Yeah, I do." Kurenai told me "You got a problem with that, Lui?"

I laughed, "Bring it, Kurenai."

"Guys, do you mind?" Shakadera asked, breaking us up. "We're kinda in the middle of something here."

"Well, so are we." I snapped back

"Well, you can save your thing for another day." Shakadera reasoned, and we both nodded, quickly shooting each other a glare. This is not the end of it. "Alright, take it away, Hanami."

"Thank you, Xander. And now, introducing the boy who makes miracles happen, the wonder boy himself, Valt Valt!" Hanami exclaimed as a spotlight lit up the spot Valt should be standing in. But of course, it was empty. That idiot. We all looked around, confused, as Hanami continued to talk. "Valt? Where are you? Valt Valt, can you please come to the stage?"

I looked at Zac's face, only to see a mixture of shock and guilt on his face. I knew it. It has something to do with the pop star wannabe, and it isn't necessarily a good thing. The good news is, I know where the kid is, which means this whole thing can end all the quicker. The bad news is that I have to go and get him, which means I actually have to interact with him, and I don't feel up to it.

"What's wrong with you?" Shakadera asked, walking up to me. The audacity this dude has to come and talk to me is unbelievable.

"None of your business." I snapped, glaring at the floor in front of me. Today had a crappy start, and now it's slowly getting worse with every passing second.

"Do you know where he is?" Shakadera gave me a curious look and I snorted in response, wanting to see more mayhem just so coming here seemed like it was half worth it.

"No," I replied, still refusing to look at him. He already knows that I know where the dumbass is, I don't know why he's questioning it.

"I personally think you should go and find him. It would benefit both of you." He told me, walking off, and I sighed. I guess that's my cue. I walked off the stage and towards the nearby beach. I can't believe I'm doing this. The shit I get roped into doing is ridiculous.

I think the laughing giant is right.

What are you talking about?

You chose him, didn't you?

Yeah, why?

Out of everyone you know, you chose him. Why's that?

Because he's the one I made the stupid agreement with, so it might as well be him who I choose. And he probably won't trust me if I don't do him. I'm a Shirosagi, after all.

That's not the real reason, is it, master?

He reminds me of myself.

How so?

His personality is only skin deep. There's so much more to him, but he won't tell anyone. Valt keeps himself to himself, and despite how open he may seem, he has so much darkness waiting within. He keeps his ugliest parts hidden from the world because he doesn't want people to find out what he could be.

Sounds horrid.

It is. Because you either say how you feel and fuck it up, or don't say anything, and let it fuck you up.

-Flashback-

I watched Zac enter the backstage area, and then answered the phone, without realising I was here, putting it out on loudspeaker as a female voice boomed out of it. "You said you had something important to tell me."

"Yes, master, it's about Valt. He's here and he knows that I know." Zac said to his 'master'. What does Valt know?

"I don't care what that waste of space knows, so forget about it. Forget it ever existed. That piece of scum means nothing to you, or to anyone. You got that?" She snapped at him

"Yes, master," Zac replied. "Should I just ignore him?"

"Obviously, what else are you supposed to do? So, is that all you wanted to talk about? That good for nothing pile of crap?" She asked, the anger in her voice making me ever the more uncomfortable. She reminded me of my father. Constantly angry about something, even if it wasn't the child's fault. It was Valt. Whenever he's a part of something, he's always a threat, whatever it is. It's terrifying. The wonder boy is always ready to strike.

"Yes, that's all, master," Zac said, and that's when I realised that he was just like me. Trapped in the restraints his parents made for him. Maybe I'm not alone. That's unlikely. She's probably just having a bad day or something. The world needed a monster and they chose me and all this pain and suffering was just because I'm a Shirosagi. There aren't a whole generation of people who hurt like me.

"Next time don't waste my fucking time with nobodies." She snapped, and then hung up the phone. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Valt run away, tears in his eyes. He heard everything. But Zac didn't seem to notice. Or, he just didn't care. And I think that was the first time I ever felt bad for the kid.

-End of Flashback-

I stopped at the stairs to the beach, only to see Valt sitting there, crying to himself. I frowned. Well, that's not something you see every day. That lady that Zac called master is their mother. Zac and Valt are brothers. They both went into care when they were young, and when Zac found his fame he somehow managed to go back to his parents while Valt went to the Valt household, changing his last name to Valt so no one would suspect anything.

You wouldn't think that someone so happy and content with life would carry such a burden, but he does. And he does it all by himself. Not even the twins know. It's sad, actually. But as the saying goes, 'God gives His hardest battles to his strongest soldiers.' What makes this job worth the pain? I will never know. I don't see what he does; what's behind the miracles he performs. It was hard seeing him like this; seeing his happiness torn away. I kinda wanna protect it, y'know? It's all he really has going for him. That could just be the older brother in me talking, though.