Thirteen: Sickness, Tempted

Misery, pure misery

Misery, pure misery. Snow still fell to the ground in sheets and as it cascaded onto Caterina's already shivering figure, she decided she was in misery. Adjusting to the Cullens' vegetarian diet was torture enough, was it not? The chill she was sure she felt in her bones only added to that feeling of torment and exhaustion. When she wasn't sleeping for 15 consecutive hours, she was being forced to try new forest animals by her so-called "companions", who laughed at her faces of disgust. How they survived on that filth, she would never be sure. It wasn't until she had finally accepted the offer from Carlisle to drink donor blood, that her fears were confirmed. No blood tasted good anymore.

When the rain had reintroduced itself to the still frigid Washington air, she had begun to actually like human food. Esme, despite having not tasted the substance in a long time, was a very good cook. She seemed to take pleasure in making meals for the four people in the house who did eat, and Cat graciously took advantage of it. As much as it terrified her, the prospect of being fully human, she finally had something she could share with Seth - in spite of his monstrous appetite.

Caterina couldn't help the yawn that escaped her as she sat on the usual table in the hospital. When Rosalie asked what her new daily routines consisted of, the older blonde blushed as she mumbled her repetitious cycle of long sleeps, eating, and - finally - being with Seth.

"Being with, as in?" Rosalie knew the answer but loved making the ever conservative Cat squirm.

"You know...being with," Cat murmured, her eyes never meeting Rose's.

Rolling her eyes, the golden-eyed vampire stated, "No, I don't. That's not a phrase I'm familiar with."

"God, sex!" A smirk graced the doctor's face as she moved to get the ultrasound machine, which had started to make regular occurrences as their appointments continued. Rose was always curious to see which organs had become active since their last appointment.

"You know the drill, it's gonna be cold," Rose warned.

Still, she couldn't help but flinch when the substance hit her stomach. The other blonde stifled a laugh and moved the wand around Cat's abdomen, searching for signs of activity in organs that previously had none.

"Speaking of, where is Seth?" Rosalie's golden eyes were concentrated on the black and white screen.

Caterina sighed, "Oh, he's patrolling with Jacob and Leah. Besides, I've been alive for this long, figured I didn't need company for an appointment."

"You do know there's nothing wrong with wanting your partner for mundane tasks, right?" Rose finally looked at Cat, her eyebrows furrowed. "I take Emmett almost everywhere, it's what couples do. I had to convince him that he didn't need to get a medical degree when I told him I wanted to work in the hospital."

They both laughed and Rose's eyes went back to the screen. "I know, sometimes I just worry about becoming too reliant on him, you know, worst case scenario."