One: Ode To An Army

High above the streets of Paris, far from where the lights could reach, a young woman sat on a tree branch, her ruby eyes observing the Parisians below her, wishing to be as ignorant as they were

     High above the streets of Paris, far from where the lights could reach, a young woman sat on a tree branch, her ruby eyes observing the Parisians below her, wishing to be as ignorant as they were. Bright blonde hair surrounded her shoulders in perfect curls, her ivory skin was without a blemish and her beauty appeared limitless.

While she would have oozed perfection, blood was smeared across her mouth and hands, reminders of a particularly gruesome kill. She hadn't meant to be as vicious as she was, but her nomadic lifestyle provided no company and she felt obligated to take her anger out on an unsuspecting woman roaming the alleyways, singing annoyingly loud for the red-eyed beauty's sensitive ears.

Deciding it was time to return to her home in Versailles, the young blonde jumped from her place in the tree, landing on her high heel clad feet. She began to hear running, knowing it was too loud to be a human's, and sighed, knowing he had found her. She turned one last time towards the city, hoping the lights would suddenly turn off, leaving a trail of darkness.

"I've been expecting you Carlisle," her voice rang through the woods, stopping the male vampire ten feet away from her.

Amusement was obvious as he spoke, "Did you think you could keep running?" She pondered his question, truly wondering if that's what she was doing. "We need your help Caterina," his voice was suddenly desperate. The emotion caused the female vampire to take a deep, albeit unnecessary, breath and turned on her heels to face her friend.

"With?" Her voice was calm and collected despite the only emotion running through her body was anger.

"The Volturi thinks we've committed a crime," Carlisle said, the plea for help becoming more daunting.

"Well, did you?" She asked, retaining her calm demeanor.

"Of course not!" The surprise in his voice caused Caterina to raise an eyebrow.

She sighed, turning towards the city again, "As much as I would love to help your family, you are aware of my terms with the Volturi, no?" At this he nodded, his head falling in defeat as she continued, "They have been looking for a reason to kill me since I left Carlisle, if they find you guilty of your supposed crime, I'll be the first to die."

"I understand," he gave her a tight-lipped smile and sped away. She shook her head, suddenly becoming very aware of how much blood was on her.

As soon as she returned to her house, she immediately felt a shift in the atmosphere, the comfort of her house disappearing and being replaced by unease. She knew if she ran, they'd catch her, thus, she mustered up as much confidence as she could and walked through the large oak doors. Upon entering, she was immediately restrained by Felix, but she remained calm, also knowing she could destroy him in a minute if the need arose. She noticed the smug looks of Demetri and Jane and rolled her eyes.

"Ah Caterina, how long it's been," Aro's child-like voice invaded her ears, almost causing a chill to run down her spine.

"That was intentional Aro," her eyes met his as Felix tightened his hold on her, though she refrained from showing discomfort.