Four: A Fascist Government In Cloaks

"If we live through this, I'll follow you anywhere woman," Garrett stated, his red eyes wandering to the Denali sister beside him

"Now you tell me?"

Caterina stared at the empty field ahead, waiting for the black cloaks to appear. She heard the breaking of twigs on the snowy forest ground and knew they were close. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath then looked to Seth, who was waiting in the forest with the other wolves, giving him a reassuring smile.

As the Volturi approached, Aro's face scanned the field. "Aro's looking for Alice," Edward stated quietly. A few of the wolves let out howls, taking their places on the field, with Seth and Leah settling on opposite sides of Caterina.

When the Volturi took off their hoods, an official symbol that the trial of the Cullens had begun, Carlisle stepped forward, "Aro, let us discuss things as we used to, in a civilized manner."

"Fair words, Carlisle," Aro began, "but a little out of place, given the battalion you've assembled against us."

"I can promise you, that was never my intent." Aro smiled as he always did during trials, Caterina had come to loathe the expression when murder overtook the leader's mind. Carlisle continued, beginning to speak to the group as a whole: the jury, "No laws have been broken."

"We see the child," Caius's venomous voice rang out, "do not treat us as fools!"

"She is not an immortal!" Carlisle yelled, then continued after a calming breath, "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look: see the flesh of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!" The blond Volturi leader would surely be the demise of them all, Caterina mused.

"I will collect every facet of the truth," Aro held his hand out to his brother, showing patience despite the clear anger in his voice, "from someone more central to the story." Caterina closed her eyes in an anxious manner. "Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." He held out his hand in torturous anticipation, and Edward stepped away from his wife and daughter. Bella was quick to move Renesmee in between herself and Jacob's large lupine form.

Caterina didn't fail to notice that Demetri was looking for her, or that Jane's thoughts radiated excitement at the thought of taking down multiple covens as they had in the past. The small twin also attempted to send her waves of pain toward the newborn, who only smirked in return as her shield surrounded the group of witnesses. Of course Caterina covered who Bella could not protect, as she certainly didn't expect her to shield multiple covens after such little training.

Edward made no rush to cross the snow-covered field, given his destination was a sea of black and grey cloaks. It was clear that Bella's main focus was protecting her husband from Jane's wrath. When the telepath finally reached Aro, who quickly grabbed Edward's hand, hoping for a slip up that would reveal that the Cullens could finally be announced as guilty and the Volturi would play the heroes once more. The look of hope soon became a look of feral astonishment.

"I'd like to meet her," Aro's red eyes flickered from the red haired vampire to his hybrid daughter. Edward dolefully turned to Bella and Renesmee, effectively beckoning them over. They began walking, Jacob following close behind, before Bella paused, looking back to Emmett and Caterina, who both took their place beside the trio. The dejected looks on Rosalie and Seth's faces went overlooked by the opposing side.

When the group reached Aro's waiting form, he tutted at the blonde immortal. "What a shame that you have decided to oppose us young Caterina." She hated the way his words slithered out of his mouth and seemingly crawled under her skin. When she said nothing in return, his attraction landed on Bella's immortality. Through her pounding thoughts, Cat heard his menacingly child-like laughter at the hybrid's arrhythmic heartbeat. Closing her eyes, she attempted to focus on one thing at a time when suddenly all the noise halted and a large battle scene played in her head.

"Now you know," Alice's voice was low: a warning, "That's your future. Unless you decide on another course." Aro's worry cascaded to the rest of the guard as they wondered what she had shown him. Caterina's eyes opened to see the small vampire in front of her, with Jasper being restrained by two members of the guard.

Caius's voice spewed something idiodic, probably. Though, Caterina didn't pay him much attention as she read Alice's hopeful and resolving thoughts. They proved a future for Renesmee, so long as the Volturi let them live. When the vampire duo stepped out from the trees into the clearing, Caterina knew that they would maintain peace. Though, for good measure, she looked to Siobhan and gave a small nod as a gesture to hope for the best outcome, just as she was.

Caterina stood aside when they approached the group and only looked up when Bella spoke out in pure desperation, "How old are you?"

Nahuel gave a small smile, "150 years." Bella and Edward were two of the many - including Caterina - who gave sighs of relief. This was knowledge that Renesmee would be just as immortal as anyone in that field.

"These children are much like us," Marcus relished after hearing about hybrid survival.

"Regardless, the Cullens have been consorting with werewolves: our natural enemies!" Caius never wanted to leave without a fight, and it became clear to him that there would be none of that.

"Dear ones," Aro addressed his own witnesses, "there is no danger here." His voice became cold, "We will not fight today."

Caterina sat on the steps to the Cullen residence, watching as the witnesses bid their goodbyes. She noticed a sullen presence sit beside her and she knew immediately who it was. Their pull had never felt more complete yet so empty. "So I guess you'll be leaving now too, huh?" Seth's eyes were attached to the ground.

She placed a pale hand beneath his chin, gently lifting it up, "What makes you say that?" Caterina then took it upon herself to place a soft kiss on Seth's lips, effectively filling the pull once more.