Chapter 28

All throughout the stadium, hundreds of eyes followed the referee as the starting players braced themselves to run in either direction. The referee blew their whistle, tossing the basketball into the air. Within a split second, the first possession of the semifinals between Inarizaki and Itachiyama was determined.

Inarizaki's third year center, Katou, tipped the ball towards Momoka. Momoka ran towards the ball to prevent Itachiyama from stealing. With the ball in her hands, Momoka dribbled down the court, stopping just before the three-point line. Typically, she would have gone all the way to the basket for a lay-up, but some of Itachiyama's defenders were quick to reach the key already in position with their arms spread out. With plenty of time on the clock Momoka did not want to rush points, allowing Itachiyama any free opportunities to gain momentum.

Still outside the three-point line, Momoka calmly and quickly glanced around the court for any passing opportunities. She locked eyes with the second year small forward, Suzuki, who nodded approaching Momoka's defender. Momoka dribbled around the defender who was successfully blocked by Suzuki's screen. After a few dribbles towards the basket Momoka passed the ball back out to Shiori, who was open. With no defender and ball in hand, Shiori fluidly went from a receiving position to a shooting position. The ball was released from her fingertips, getting all net and no rim, making the score 2 - 0.

Itachiyama quickly took the ball out trying to make a play before Inarizaki could completely set up their defense. Their captain, Iizuna Misaki, dribbled down the court until she reached the three-point line. When she reached the three-point line, Shiori approached her to defend, but Misaki did a fadeaway. From the feel of the ball's release, Misaki knew it was in, so she confidently looked to her right. With a smug expression on her face, Misaki tilted her head, looking right at Momoka, using body language to, say, beat that. Seeing Misaki's exuding confidence, Momoka became more riled up, determined to show those Tokyo weasels these foxes are not to be messed with.

The first quarter of their game was a constant back and forth with the score gap remaining within a few baskets. Everyone watching their game cheered loudly on the edge of their seats, befitting of a national-level semifinal. When the second quarter began Atsuko subbed in for Momoka, Anna for Katou, and Komori Reina for Misaki. At this point in the game, Itachiyama were the ones leading with current possession of the ball.

One of the Itachiyama players passed the ball to another who brought it down the court. They passed the ball to Reina, but Atsuko was quick to steal. After stealing the ball, she hurriedly dribbled towards her basket with Reina hot on her heels. Nearing the basket, Atsuko abruptly stopped, causing Reina to speed past her creating an opening with no defender. Setting up her shot and releasing the ball, Atsuko made the basket, now tied 18 - 18.

Later in the second quarter, Shiori was subbed out for Sana. Entering the court, Sana looked to her teammates for the game plan, to which Atsuko said, "Get Loud." Hearing this, all of Inarizaki smiled or chuckled, knowing what's in store. Get Loud was their code for you better have that ball moving so much to the point the coach's neck hurts from tracking the ball. It also meant I want to see passes so fast and hard onlookers would flinch thinking a canon was shot at you. With their plan in action, Itachiyama became slightly disoriented by the change of pace from the previous minutes played. However, they weren't disorientated long enough for Inarizaki to effectively pull far ahead.

For the third quarter, Momoka was put in along with some of the second years and first years who hadn't played in previous quarters or games up to this point. At one point in the quarter things got more physical than usual. Momoka went in for a lay-up and one of the defenders was right next to her. When she was coming down from scoring, the defender's momentum caused them to clash causing Momoka to land incorrectly on her feet. There were audible gasps around the court as the defender apologetically helped Momoka up while the referees and other players approached to make sure she was okay. Momoka quickly got up, reassuring everyone she was fine walking to the free-throw line granted by the defensive foul committed. Seeing her walk and make the free throw everyone watching relaxed.