Star-crossed

Chapter 3

Star-crossed

Lee Jaewoong-ssi,

Hello! I hope this letter finds you in a good mood. You don't know me, which is a fortunate thing because I don't really want you to know me. You see, I was the one who bumped into your car a few weeks ago. I'm sorry I did a hit-and-run on you, but it was something I had to do because I didn't have the money to pay you. I didn't have insurance either (and still don't). But rest assured I am not going to run away from my responsibility. That's why I am enclosing herewith some cash. I know it's not enough to cover the whole expense, but just let me know how much the total cost is, and I will pay you in installments. It may take a while to pay it off, but I promise to pay for the whole thing. Just leave me a note under the money tree near the elevator in the main lobby.

Thank you so much for your kind consideration (I'm assuming you are considering this... kindly).

Sincerely,

The Person Who Wrecked Your Car

There, I had successfully written a good letter of explanation, and all I had to do now was to put it somewhere in Jaewoong's office without being seen.

The Gods must have been watching out for me today because Jaewoong, and the rest of the Lee grandsons had to leave our floor for a quick emergency board meeting with the President in his office on the ninth floor an hour before lunch period. Everybody else in the office was so busy finishing up things before lunch break that nobody noticed me sneaking into Jaewoong's office. His room was very tidy and all leathery, an exact replica of Youngwoo's except it was a bit smaller. I wanted to look around, to see whose pictures were on the frames that lined the long table behind his desk, but I needed to be out in the office quickly because I still planned on keeping my identity a secret.

The process was smooth and easy, and I didn't even break a sweat. When I got back to my cubicle, I continued with my work, occasionally listening to my co-workers chitchat about their plans for the weekend. Many of them, including Minjoo, planned on going shopping since we just got paid yesterday. I was thinking of going shopping, too, but maybe just by myself since I didn't really enjoy shopping with other people.

I was feeling good. I made some money, I was able to start my payment for Jaewoong's car, and I was going shopping. Yay! Things were finally looking up for me. I had a feeling this was going to be a great day and I had a great weekend to look forward to.

But that feeling of emotional high instantaneously sunk the moment I got the text from my friend, Mazuki, in Japan.

Sunmi-chan, I saw Akira-kun ystrday. He asked abt u. I told him u moved back 2 Korea. He invited me 2 his wedding. Pls call me.

And just like that, the great day I was looking forward to spending went down the drain in a trice. I sat there in my cubicle, staring at my cell phone, not knowing exactly what kind of reaction I should do first. Should I cry? Because I did feel like bawling my eyes out. I was hurt by the news, mostly because I didn't expect him to move on that fast. Dammit. I wanted to move on before him. Should I scream? Because I felt like hollering my frustrations out. I was so infuriated at myself for being affected by the news this way. Didn't I already promise myself to move on? I really felt like shit knowing that he did it before me.

A few minutes before lunch break, I ran out of our office and took the stairs to the very top floor, where I found myself alone in the bathroom. And there I cried. For a good fifteen minutes, I cried as much as I had cried that day Akira and I broke up. When I still didn't feel any better even when my eyes already stung from all the weeping, I knew what I had to do next. I had to scream.