Chapter 5 - Surprises

Chapter 5 -Surprises

I woke up to the smell of breakfast – a fragrant mixture of maple syrup, bacon, coffee, and a blend of all other things I couldn't outright identify, and to the unmistakable sound of door-banging – probably Wonhee wrestling with the busted refrigerator door again. I rubbed my eyes to clear the images in my surroundings, yawning as I did so. Tipping my head up, I looked at the green digits of the clock on my bedside table.

7:17.

Too early. It was Sunday. I could sleep till noon if I wanted to, so I laid my head back to the comfort of my fluffy pillow, pulling back the downy sheets over my head... when I realized something.

Lee Jaewoong.

Hastily, I jumped off my bed, took a quick glance at myself on the dresser mirror, rummaged for necessary garments from the drawers, and slid a small headband through my hair before tiptoeing my way to the bathroom across the hall.

After finishing all my usual morning hygiene ritual, I stealthily slipped out of the bathroom, trying to refrain myself from making the floor creak. I paused for a moment as I passed by the room Jaewoong was staying in, thinking of the insane events last night and wondering if he slept well despite his contusions and the uncomfortable bedroom condition. I tried to listen if there was any sign of wakefulness inside, and when all I could hear was silence, I decided to go downstairs without waking him up.

"Ohayou," Wonhee greeted me as soon as I stepped into the kitchen. With her hair tied carelessly with a scrunchie, her oversized white house-shirt hanging loosely on one side – revealing her shoulder bone, and her stained, pink Hello Kitty apron, Wonhee looked like a young housewife rather than a no-boyfriend-since-birth twenty-two-year-old. "Where's your guest?" she asked, flipping over a perfectly discoid pancake. "Breakfast is almost ready. I just need to do one more pancake."

"I decided to let him rest some more," I said, glancing at the variety of appetizing foods already set on the table.

Wonhee made peach pancakes - utilizing some of the basketful of overripe peaches we didn't manage to eat before they had gone too mushy-, sunny side-up eggs, crisp strips of bacon, and round turkey sausages. There was also a pitcher of freshly-made peach smoothie at the end of the table, near the kitchen wall. Jars of peanut butter and homemade peach jelly stood right next to the pitcher.

"Don't you want your guest to join us for breakfast?" Wonhee asked as she dropped herself down to a chair across the table from me.

I thought for a moment but then decided against Wonhee's suggestion. "Nah, it's okay. I think I will let him sleep some more. I'm sure he'll come down when he gets hungry." I poured peach smoothie up to the rim of my glass and took a sip of it, licked the remnants that rested on my upper lip, and smacked the flavor with delight. "This is awesome, Wonhee-ah." I was in peach heaven.

"Thanks," Wonhee mumbled, busy grinding food in her mouth. "By the way, what's your boss's name again?"

"Lee Jaewoong," I said, jabbing a piece of pancake with my fork. A slice of peach fell off and landed on the edge of my plate; I picked it up with my fingers.

"Jaewoong Lee..." Wonhee re-stated then swallowed a mouthful. "He looked more like a Bruised Lee last night," she said, chuckling at her own joke.

"Wonhee-ah! Don't make fun of him. He suffered a lot, you know."

"Sorry... Sorry for making fun of your boyfriend," she said with a teasing tone.

"He's not my boyfriend!" I exclaimed with a restrained voice. "And remember what I told you. Pretend I'm gay, okay?"