Chapter 4 - Apologies and Mysteries

Chapter 4

Apologies and Mysteries

And that brand new day turned out to be a very interesting one.

Youngwoo called me and Minjoo the morning after the club incident, asking us if we could have a late lunch with him at a restaurant somewhere in the Gangnam district. After careful consideration, after finally convincing ourselves that Youngwoo's voice didn't sound apoplectic on the phone, meaning he didn't sound like he was about to give us the axe, we decided to accept his offer and meet him for lunch. I felt like I had to apologize for my actions in person, too, anyways.

We spotted Youngwoo, looking like a million bucks, sitting at a table by a window that had a great view of the Gangnam life that bustled outside the restaurant. He was by himself, sipping his drink as he watched people from all walks of life enjoy strolling the busy streets of Seoul.

We were at an Asian fusion restaurant that looked very expensive due to its overall gold theme, crystal chandeliers, and Italian marble floors. It reminded me so much of Donald Trump's New York Penthouse I saw on TV. The patrons were in cocktail dresses and suits, making me (with my plaid tunic and leggings) and Minjoo (with her floral peasant shirt and white skirt that she borrowed from me) look way out of place. But it didn't matter how we looked now. Certainly, Youngwoo would not determine firing me based on my looks today; it would be based on how much money was going to be spent on Heejin's facial reconstructive surgery. And Minjoo, of course, was guilty by association.

Minjoo and I hurriedly walked over to the table, endlessly bowing apologies to Youngwoo, explaining why we were late.

"You're not late," Youngwoo said in a surprisingly calm voice. "I just arrived early."

We twitched our mouths to a nervous chuckle, not knowing whether to relax or to prepare ourselves for disaster because his act of collectedness could be just the calm before the storm. For all we know, we could be hit by a Category 5 hurricane by the time we take our seats.

But Lee Youngwoo's composure remained. "You probably know why I wanted to meet you two today," Youngwoo said as Minjoo and I took a seat across from him. I placed my messenger bag on the side by the window, fidgeting with the strap for a few moments before I finally settled in my seat.

A waiter, clad in all black, came and took our orders. "The usual for you, Mr. Lee?" he asked Youngwoo after taking Minjoo's and my orders. Youngwoo nodded with certainty, and then the waiter left.

Youngwoo added more tea to his cup ever so slowly and methodically, like real social elite would do, that I thought I was watching a very formal tea ceremony. Like the other customers, he was also wearing a suit – a dark gray one with a black shirt underneath. "I asked to see you because I want to apologize in person for my friend's rudeness last night," he said then turned to me and added, "and for raising my voice at you, Sunmi-ssi."

I shrunk in my seat because of utter embarrassment and confusion. Lee Youngwoo is apologizing? I asked myself with incredulity. I was compelled to express my apologies as well, deciding it was the right time to say it. "I'm... I'm sorry for punching your girlfriend..."

Youngwoo cleared his throat and replaced his white, gold-trimmed tea cup on its matching coaster. "First of all, she isn't my girlfriend..."

Really, I asked myself in silence. I found it hard to believe. They were all over each other last night.

"Second of all, I don't think she had the right to make fun of people, either," Youngwoo said, particularly staring right at me when saying this. Youngwoo took another sip of his tea, cleared his throat once more, and then said, "I also want to clear some things up." He leaned forward, and then placed his elbows on the table, clasping his hands in front of him.