Encounter

'How could I have been so stupid?' I think to myself after recovering from my outburst. I had immediately thought Teddy was in danger and let them see a part of me I wasn't ready to share or was sure I ever wanted to share.

After Teddy calmed me down, I set him down and he went to play. "Again, sorry about that." I say and head over to the kitchen to start putting things where they go.

"Alyssa?"

I turn and see Optimus looking at me with curiosity and... worry? Why would he be worried about me? We just met. "Yes, Optimus?"

"Forgive me for being intrusive, but please be truthful. It wasn't the thought Teddy could have harmed himself, but that someone was trying to harm him that made you respond in such a way, wasn't it?" He asks as he looks at me with those intense blue eyes. As if he could read my soul.

I blink and my shields are up at full potential before turning away from him. "That is always a mothers' fear Optimus, and could you really blame me? I just met you all and don't trust you just yet. That would be foolish of me." I answer him and turn my head, "wouldn't you agree?"

From the corner of my eye, I see him tense up and look down with a frown, while also hearing chatter from the others in the house. Let them listen, I merely speak truths.

The sound of movement begins, and we all keep working in silence. Though it didn't last long as Teddy runs into the room, laughing and playing with his toys.

I stop and watch him with a gentle smile and then giggle when I see him playing with a wolf and dog.

"Mama look! Daddy and Pafoot!" He says as he keeps playing and giggling.

His words catch the attention of everyone in the room. The kids looked at the toddler and give him smiles, while the adults gave the child looks of confusion before turning to me. I was looking at him with a small smile and adoration.

"What does the boy mean?" Came the gruff voice of Ironhide as he looks at me accusingly. "Why does he see the wolf and the dog as a father and... I'm assuming friend?"

My smile leaves my face as I look at him, Occlumency shields still up but I knew just from looking at him, my eyes were brighter with annoyance and mild anger. "His father would always howl to the moon to make him laugh when he was fuzzy and cranky. When he said Pafoot he meant Padfoot, my godfather. Teddy's father and my godfather were the closest of friends and acted like dog and wolf in a sense." I explain.

Ratchet seems to notice my choice of words. "Alyssa, I couldn't help but notice you said 'were'."

I turn to him and nod. "Both of them died some time ago," I answer and go back to putting items where I want them to go. Missing the looks of sorrow directed towards Teddy and me.

"So, you're raising the little fella all on your own?" Carlos asks as he looks my way while working.

"I am, hence, my over-the-top reaction." I explain and start to open the microwave box and put it close to the outlet.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking." Optimus asks as he puts the light bulbs in.

"..."

My silence made everyone turn to me as my hair hid my eyes. I felt all eyes on me but the ones closest to me is the one that made me hold my arms together. "They were murdered. They were soldiers and died fighting for what they believed in and what was right. My godfather was killed right in front of me, by a family member of his."

THUMP!

Turning to the sound, I see the kids looking at me with wide eyes. Their eyes are full of disbelief and pity, making me turn away. "I don't need your pity guys. It happened a long time ago."