Chapter 1: The Beginning and End of my Story

" Lynden! Get up we're going on our summer hike up - wait, are you still on your computer! "

Snapping from my trance-like stare at my computer screen, I slowly turned my head to my opened bedroom door where my mother stood in the frame of the door with a hard scowl while looking at my computer and then myself.

I didn't respond, just stared with bloodshot eyes that held dark bags which went down to the top of where cheekbones would be.

My bed was still neatly made like I had done it the previous morning too, my classic Sans plush not having been moved an inch.

It was this silence that explained everything without me needing to vocally say it.

" You did not stay up all night, again, playing that damn computer game again! We're going on our summer hike today and you know that you need to be alert on this hiking trail. " Mam spoke with an exasperated sigh while staring me down with a scowl and furrowed brows.

" I-I'm sorry Mam, I was trying to finish this Genocide run and didn't notice the time until you came in here; I was going to go to bed but... I kinda forgot to. " I explained with a nervous smile.

Please, God, or whatever higher being there is, please don't let my Mam kill me right here and now! I mentally prayed because I knew that after today I would probably have my computer taken off of me for a week. After all, this is the umpteenth time I've stayed up all night on my computer.

Like the time I had a Maths homework due for my first lesson that day, I had stayed up until 6 in the morning playing Skyrim and when I realised the time I quickly filled in the homework before rushing off to school before I was late.

To say that I ended up nearly falling asleep in the R.E class I had that day was an understatement, it didn't help that Mr what's-his-name has such a monotonous voice that it's as effective at putting children to sleep as a horse tranquilliser.

Shit! I'm getting off track, Mam looks like she's about ready to throw my computer out of the window. " Lynden... we do this hike every year, you should have known that you needed to be well rested for the hike. " Mam spoke with a calm but desperately refraining from shouting tone.

" I'll be fine Mam, I've done the school cross country with only an hour of sleep so I'll function! " I tried to reassure her while giving a smile and a thumbs up to show that I'll be fine.

" The worst that can happen is that I pass out and face-plant into the trail, so don't worry. " I added with a light chuckle as I mentally pictured myself just flopping while walking up the hiking trail.

Mam still looked concerned and still slightly angry as she stared at me for a few moments.

She took in a small breath, " If you're sure... just be careful and tell me or your Dad if you feel like you can't go up with us, don't push yourself too hard, okay poppet? ".

I nodded in response, that's Mam for 'ya, even if she gets mad she'll still worry about your safety first beforehand.

" Alright, I'm gonna go wake up your brother, get dressed into something appropriate for the hike and go have breakfast downstairs with your Dad. " Mam gestured her head in the direction of the stairs as she left, closing my bedroom door behind her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearing the crunching of the dirt under my shoes I let out a small yawn, covering my mouth and pausing in my steps as I did so, blinking the tiredness from my eyes I looked ahead at Mam and Dad then turned over to a hyperactive Riley who ran circles around them.

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my cheeks as I quickly walked over to keep pace with them so I wouldn't be left behind with a small huff from my nose.

" It's so high up! You can see so far! " Riley awed with wide eyes.

" Yeah! You could probably even see the ocean from the top of the trail! " I enthused with a smile as I ruffled his big mop of brown hair.

Riley pouted, swatting away my hand as he tried to fix his messed up hair while I lightly laughed at his cute pouty face.

" Don' mess up my hair Den-Den! " Riley whined as he looked back up at me with furrowed brows and his baby blue eyes narrowed at me like he was going to become Superman and shoot lasers from his eyes right into my skull.

This, made me laugh even harder from both the adorable attempt he was making at being scary and from my current sleep deprivation. " That's not funny! " He whined even louder, but then stopped, which made me pause as I looked down at him to see what had stopped his pouting.

He had a smile on his face, which I knew from many experiences meant he was planning mischief. So when he ran at me with his hand raised, I froze to my spot, my eyebrows raised in confusion at what he was doing.

" Tag! You're it! "

I jumped as he went from hitting my leg to running away from me, and off of the trail! Panicking I no longer felt tired as adrenaline began to kick in and I quickly ran after him while ignoring the shouting of Mam and Dad trying to tell us to get back on the trail.

But I wasn't focused on them, my tunnel vision was focused onto my brothers heel as I leapt over rocks while keeping me eyes trained on Riley's prominently bright red trainers.

Every now and again his head turned to look back, whenever he saw me he ran that but faster than before while he laughed and grinned like the Cheshire cat.

DON'T LOSE RILEY,

IF YOU LOSE HIM THEN MAM WILL KILL YOU!

My mind was racing with panic that I didn't notice a rock that pointed out from the grass until I went to pull my foot forward as I ran.

And get caught, " Shit! " I exclaimed as my eyes snapped away from Riley and down to where I was going to fall and face-plant as I quickly put up my arms to cushion my fall, or to at least make it less painful then going face first into the ground.

Impacting the ground, I let out a sharp inhale and grit my teeth at the stinging in my palms which were probably scratched if I was lucky.

But I ignored the pain and rapidly pulled myself back to my feet to look for the familiar red trainers.

Only to not see any in sight... my heart dropped to my stomach an I felt goosebumps crawling up my arms and down my back macking me let out an involuntary shiver.

" Riley! " I shouted, quickly jogging in a direction to try and find him. I panted out my breaths as I scanned over my surroundings.

" Riley this isn't funny! Mam's gonna kill me if I lose you, I'm not playing right now! " I shouted, my voice breaking as I felt tears collect in my eyes and blur them as I felt a lump growing in my throat.

Quickly wiping the blur of tears from my eyes I slowly look over to the nearby mountain ledge as I felt my heart stop as I imagined seeing Riley's body at the bottom of the drop.

And so I quickly walked over to the ledge, my toes poking over the edge slightly as I leant over to look down at the drop.

Only to see nothing there, I sighed in relief and went to turn around to continue looking for Riley when I suddenly tipped a little too far forward and gravity began to pull me down.

My heart caught in my throat in my gasp as I began to feel wind blowing against my face as my toes were the last thing latching onto the edge as I began to plummet down.

It was only seconds, but those seconds felt like minutes as my mind seemed to take screenshot of the sight before me.

The sight of jagged, stone grey rocks sprinkled with patches of deep green grass and lighter shaded moss across their surfaces

All I could do was let out a quiet squeak in fear before I was millimeters from the rocks when my vision cut to black.