Chapter 4: The visitor

If I could describe his appearance in one word, it would be black. A black skeleton wearing a jacket, shorts and sneakers, all of which are dripping in a tar-like black substance that dripped all over the white floors, pooling together into puddles of the white's opposing shade.

He seemed to stare down at my form, his cerulean blue pinprick of a left eye staring directly back at my own dull grey eyes for a few moments, the pearly white grin on his face seeming to be amused.

" Seems like you're not happy for some reason. " His voice was naturally low with a garbled echo to it as he spoke.

But I couldn't help but picture the scene in Underverse when he said that exact same line to Cross. " Wow, my imagination isn't even creative enough to make something different and so just repeats a piece of dialogue of yours instead of coming up with something actually unique. " I muttered under my breath.

This just seemed to confuse them as his face went from amusement to puzzled, I don't know if it was from him hearing me or not but I was just happy to see something familiar at least.

" Sorry, I'm just used to voicing out my thoughts. If you didn't hear what I said then feel free to ask; I'd rather talk to what is most likely a hallucination than just continue talking to myself like what I've been doing for the past... days?... weeks? Who knows, this place never changes so I haven't the foggiest. "

I shrugged my shoulders as I gestured to the endless white void around me, even if I was just talking to some hallucination that my mind has made in an attempt to keep me sane I'm honestly glad to have anything to talk to.

" I'm not a hallucination, kid. And I'm gonna guess that this place is what remains of your Universe? " His eyes narrowed at me slightly, the amusement from earlier now gone, replaced with slight irritation from what I could tell by the slight growl in his garbled voice.

Honestly, I couldn't contain myself as I let out a chuckle, " Kid? I'm a College student, or was... anyway, I'm definitely not the right age to be called a kid. My name's Lynden. ". I don't have the time to debate whether I am or was a College student thanks to dying.

" Though I honestly have no idea what this place is, from what I've gathered it's an endless white void with no wall in reach. I only ended up here after going face first over the edge of a cliff and died! " I recounted with a slight shiver as I remembered the sight of those rocks...

" If you died then how are you here? And in an entirely seperate Universe, I only managed to get here thanks to your strong negative emotions. " He looked even more confused while staring at me unblinkingly with his cerulean pinprick of an eye.

At that I just shrugged, " No idea, my first guess was that this place was my own purgatory, but I ended up throwing away that idea after a while. Though I commend my imagination for keeping you to your character, even if it wasn't good when you appeared and repeated the same first piece of dialogue you used in Underverse. ".

" You still think I'm a hallucination? ".

" Yup! I've been here for what I assume is a long time so I'm not surprised that I'd start hallucinating, and considering the fact that I'm all by myself it isn't too far of a stretch that I'd hallucinate something for me to talk to in order to try and protect my mind from the encroaching insanity thanks to my isolation here. " I explained to him with growing deflation in my enthusiasm as I just sort of hugged my knees to my chest.

He looked slightly amused by my explanation, " That's a good point, but you're not hallucinating. You can call me Nightmare, kid. " Nightmare approached me from where he'd been standing since the start of our interaction and sat less than a metre away from me with the kind of sound you'd hear when a soaked towel is dropped against the ground.